Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

21 - 40 of 59 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,488 Posts
I'm up for that challenge. I gaurantee one can shift considerable quicker without the clutch than with it...

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
niuginimonster:

regarding "option 1":
Before you can "knock the shift lever" you need to operate the clutch... That time also counts!

I can whip the throttle back, just as fast as you can lay your fingers at the clutch lever.

For fastest possible shift, you should install a "quick-shift kit" like the one I've described previously. then you will not have to touch the clutch lever, or back off on the throttle. Just knock the shift lever at optimum rpm, again, and again, and again!

/

·
Registered
588 Posts
Cujo,
tapping (& i mean barely tapping) the clutch is done simmultaniuosly with knocking the lever up, it's one action so no time loss.

You just said it "I can whip the throttle back, just as fast as you can lay your fingers at the clutch lever"

so by the time you've whipped the throttle back & before you've changed gears, i'm already done & Gone!

·
Registered
588 Posts
As for the quick shift kit, it cuts engine power right, so i don't believe it's as fast as flat changing either.

Just to clarify one thing, FLAT changing is WOT in first & hold it there hard against the WOT stopper, & just keep throwin gears at it untill you redline in top!

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
ive been tryingn out clutchless up and down shifting for a few days now. it's definately much smoother....well, umshifting is, i still have to work on making downshifting smoother. its a little more tricky. it makes things a little more interesting though and, i think, makes me concentrate and pay attention to the RPMs more. as for being the quickest, the difference is miniscule for me, as I dont really race anyone). the smoothness carries much more benefit for me. plus it makes me feel like a bada$$ look ma, no clutch ;D

btw, theres really no damage doing this if there's no grinding or forcing of anything, correct?

·
Premium Member
5,076 Posts
I've just been watching this thread so far, but when some of you guys say that you can upshift faster than a quick shifter kit.......well.......you can't. I've got $1000 that says there is no way you can shift quicker & gain more ground than with a properly adjusted quick shifter.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Hey Norm, good to see another opiniator (if that's a correct word) jump in.

I'm still going to stick to my guns & say Flat changing is still faster. Quickchange kits, cut engine power briefly & because of that can't be as quick as flat changing.

I was even practising 1/2 an our ago on my way back to work from my lunch break. The upshift & bump on the clutch lever is Simmultaneous, so take the clutch action out of the equasion & your just rammin gears.

It's gotta be quicker than 1. Backing off or 2. Automated backing off i.e. "Quick" changer kit.

Still reckon i win 8)

·
Premium Member
5,076 Posts
I shift the way you do quite a bit, it's a great way & very effective. But, there's a reason every top drag & road racer uses a shift kit. Have you tried one?

·
Registered
588 Posts
Norm,
No Unfortunately not, reckon it would be quite a buzz!!

But lets face it our Duc's are not 3,000 HP 7 second machines, i'd reckon just holding on (even in a cage) for 400mtrs would be the challenge there :eek: at least you can hit the buttons to change gear if there close enough to your white knuckles whilst your doin the "G" force thing.

Full on drag racing is another story. I thought we were debating street riding/racing here on our Duc's?

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
Is this not bad for your tranny?

·
Premium Member
5,076 Posts
You can buy a Holeshot unit for <$300. They also make a new push button one that I haven't tried. From there, there are a lot of nice ones that can go for upwards of $1000. My boys run the KHS ones that are so complex, I don't even know how to adjust them. I don't use one on a regular basis, but if you've never tried one, make a point to. You'll know what fast shifting really is.

·
Registered
588 Posts
I'm still doing less mechanical operations than you Cujo, so i'm faster.

And i still recon i could change as quick as one of those quick shifters, but they do sound interesting.

Flat changing is not a thing you do going around corners, only straight line. so it's only really for drag racing.

same as in a street car, hold it flat, throw gears at it side stepping the clutch, grrrrr, almost make me want to go for a drive [smiley=evil.gif]

So if it's for the track were talking i can see the benifits of a shift kit, sheezz, imagine how many times you'd need to change gears in a race!

Hmmmm, have to look into those Quick shift kits, how do they actually work? are they practical for the street?
Is there an actuator that takes place of the gear lever?

it'd turn it into a lazymans Duc wouldn't it? ???
Kinda like driving an auto :-/

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
i wonder if my dealer can get me a holeshot unit and install it on my 6k service. i already have them doing my tires. its gonna be like 1000 bucks! they used to give me discounts too, but not anymore...

·
Premium Member
5,076 Posts
Gee, I feel badly for you guys that are getting raped by your dealers. If you live anywhere near me, I'd be happy to change your tires for free.
The quick shifters have a trigger attached to the shift lever, some use a spring, some a magnet, etc.. The trigger wires into the ignition & cuts it for a few milliseconds. This lets the bike shift smoother that manually & is actually easier on your tranny. The trick is to adjust the length of the ignition kill properly & even then, it only works well within a certain RPM range. Most come with an on/off switch so you can leave it off until you really want to rip. It's really important to make sure it's adjusted just right though, if not, it can get ugly fast.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
whoops, meant to say the 6000 mile service, new tires, and potentially installing the holeshot would be 1000 bucks. the service alone is like 270, tires 300, etc.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
niuginimonster said:
1.I'm still doing less mechanical operations than you Cujo, so i'm faster.

2 And i still recon i could change as quick as one of those quick shifters, but they do sound interesting.

3 Flat changing is not a thing you do going around corners, only straight line.

21 - 40 of 59 Posts