Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey all, i'm thinking that my clutch is just about gone. its starting to slip and a funny noise is developing, kind of a chatter when under slight load at low rpm. anyways, its a 2000 m750 with 36,000 miles. ive had it for the last 6000 miles and i dont think that much, if any work has ever been done on the clutch. where do i start? what is this going to cost me? are used parts hard to find or even worth looking into? i plan on doing the work myself this winter. thanks. Dave.

·
Premium Member
720 Posts
Clutch plates can be had minus springs for around $150. Springs and retainers can be had for under $40 and if you need the basket you'll spend upwards of $250-300.

The labor will suck if you have it done somewhere. You can likely do it yourself if you're organized and somewhat mechanically inclined and have a few tools and a manual. You may be able to find folks here with tools you can borrow, or if you're really mechanically inclined and have a welder could make your own. Or if you're crafty you could get by without.

I would guess you can just get by with the plates and the springs and retainers (maybe not even those, but with 36k I'd probably replace them for the price) So I'd say right around $200 for parts. Tools and manual if you don't have them may be around $50-100.

That's what I know.

-Mike

·
Premium Member
720 Posts
Oh yeah, I didn't mention that I'm basing my prices off of Ca-cycleworks website. Chris has a lot of options there that will get you straightened out. I'm sure you could get it locally, but I like internet ordering.

I'd get the LT Snyder manual for sale in the DML store (look at the links on the left) for $30, it's far superior to any other manuals.

I'm not sure where to get clutch tools, I know there are lots of threads on these issues in the Tech section, and probably one or two in FAQ. Those should tell you what you need for tools and what you can fabricate yourself or do without.

Good luck! If you need help definitley post again!

-Mike

·
Premium Member
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
hey thanks mike! right now i am just in the information gathering stage, i like to find all of my options before jumping into somthing. i dont have a whole lot of experience with ducati clutches, but i do have a couple years of automotive engineering schooling...and i am mechanically enclined.

i do know two of the previous owners of the bike, one had it for 12K and the other for 20K. so if i can still get a hold of them, that should help me alot. if i run into any other issues, i will defanitely post up here. thanks again. Dave.

·
Registered
3,204 Posts
If the basket's OK it's a pretty easy R&R. I've got a manual if you need to borrow one (and you're still around Mankato).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts