Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2014 M696 with 9,500 miles on it, and Friday night I found the clutch a bit weird, first it was a little slow to re-engage, then it gradually got worse until about 5 miles later it froze up completely, leaving me totally unable to disengage the clutch. Caused a bit of adventure as I was on the freeway at the time!

Anyone had this happen? I thought hydraulic clutches were supposed to be simple and reliable! I took the lever off and lubed it up but it doesn't seem to be the problem.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Could be your slave cylinder. remove it and see if the long pin is stuck in the motor. If it's the slave cyl, then it'll be a good time to upgrade to Oberon.
I was thinking along these lines and checked it out yesterday. With the slave cylinder removed you still can't squeeze the clutch lever. The long pin can be pulled out of the motor but I don't seem to be able to push it in by hand - not sure if that's normal or not.

The Oberon upgrade from a quick google search sounds like a no-brainer, except I believe it might be under warranty? I bought it in April 2015, the dealer had put 120 miles on it but they titled it as new. Dealer is closed Mondays so I'm stuck waiting till tomorrow to know for sure.

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
Do you still have it with you? If so, try seeing if the master cylinder is stuck. Take off the lever and push/pull on the piston. You should find vids or pics of master cylinder rebuilds online to help you.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I gave it a good push when I had the lever off on Sunday but never opened the bleeder valve or took off the reservoir cap out of fear that would make it obvious that I worked on it myself. It gives a little but doesn't push all the way in.

·
Registered
467 Posts
For me (Because warranty isn't worth a pinch of goats poop where I live and I'm mechanically minded and curious as to how it works/hows it assembled etc) I'd remove the slave cyl cap screws slowly and inspect behind it, cleaning with a clean rag (if there's any fluid or dirt) remove and inspect the rod. Check its straight (roll it on a flat surface) and regrease if needed and slide it back in, make sure it can spin around and not getting hung up. Re-install the slave however you may need to crack the bleeder so its upto you if you want to try that.
First time I removed the slave I had to crack the bleeder to get it to bolt back together, then the clutch wouldn't move. Removed it and spun the rod and checked again and re-installed it and it was fine. Then did the same when I installed the ducabike slave.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Update: I still don't have my bike back. I'm told the problem was not the slave cylinder as we all expected, but the nut that holds the clutch pack got loose and backed out and I guess it also then broke. And somehow that caused the clutch discs to no longer disengage... I haven't seen the mechanism myself to understand it fully.

So the parts are on order and hopefully arrived today.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I know this is an old post but looks like the same thing happened to my 796, but worst. The clutch rod is stuck in my engine, not to mention the pin the goes thru the snapped off. Something crazy happened with my chain and it almost rubbed thru my swing arm and rubbed against the slave cylinder destroying it. I pulled the clutch cover off and found the nut for the clutch pack hanging on by a thread. As far as parts that have to be replaced I’m looking at a slave cylinder, clutch rod, swing arm( I know that this will drive me crazy because the damage is very visible). Now I have to figure out how to get the rod out.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts