Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have an '02 620 and the clutch seems to be slipping already at 7500 miles on it. i have had the bike since it was at 1500 miles and all the mileage i have done is highway. is there any thing else that would cause it to start slipping? i use motul motor oil and do not ride that aggresively ;) no wheelies and no clutch slipping between gears.

also if the clutch is cashed what all needs to be replaced? i can't really afford to get a slipper clutch right now. although i would like to. just looking for a cheap fix. it's my daily driver....any help would be appreciated. thanks guys.

·
Premium Member
6,957 Posts
i have an '02 620 and the clutch seems to be slipping already at 7500 miles on it. i have had the bike since it was at 1500 miles and all the mileage i have done is highway. is there any thing else that would cause it to start slipping? i use motul motor oil and do not ride that aggresively ;) no wheelies and no clutch slipping between gears.

also if the clutch is cashed what all needs to be replaced? i can't really afford to get a slipper clutch right now. although i would like to. just looking for a cheap fix. it's my daily driver....any help would be appreciated. thanks guys.
I would try different oil first, just in case that does the trick!
(I use Golden Sprectro semi-synth in ours)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i've been running motul 15-50w for the past 2 oil changes and it never slipped before that's why i was wondering if it could be something else.

C

·
0 Posts
03 620 started slipping around 6000 miles. I was using Castrol Full Synthetic. After the 6000 mile service, I thought whatever oil the dealer uses ( motorcycle oil ) would clear it up. Well, 1500 miles later, it helped a little - but it's still slipping. When I posted this query someone suggested taking the clutch apart and cleaning the plates? I think I might try that before I spring for a new clutch.

The most "damaging" thing I can think I do to the clutch is power braking. But I thought that's what it was designed for.

jb

·
Premium Member
5,076 Posts
Take it apart for an inspection. Deglazing the plates & shuffling the pack would probably help & doesn't cost anything.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i believe the 03 620's actually come with a different (slipper type?) clutch so i don't think you would be harming anything on power braking. not sure. i do tend to power brake so that is probably my problem if it is going away already. never really thought about that one. ???
you guys know if there is a FAQ on dissasembling a wet clutch anywhere? want to check it out to see if it is something i can do myself.

D

·
0 Posts
I posted this topic about 4 months ago after having the same symptoms. It's now happening again :mad: The first problem was solved by switching to mobil 1 from the Torco. Torco contains moly and has been known to allow a wet clutch to slip! Now it's doing it with mobil 1? The others that experienced this reported the clutch springs in the 620 are very weak and when replaced, (under warranty) solved it. I'm aware of the slave cylinder being a nuisance, and I wonder if that might be it? Help!!

·
Registered
211 Posts
On my 03 620 I've noticed some very faint signs of clutch slipping. I haven't been sure if it's a good idea to take it in yet as it's not really a problem (yet).

·
Premium Member
95 Posts
I had a problem similar to this with my '03 620. It happened after I "aggressively" cleaned around the countershaft sprocket. The clutch would only stay engaged if I accelerated v-e-r-y gently. I removed the slave cylinder and the clutch pushrod. After cleaning the back side of the cylinder and the pushrod, I lubed the pushrod with a little bit of silicone grease, especially around the two o-rings, and reassembled everything. That took care of the problem. This happened around 4K miles and I now have 7700. Might be worth a shot. At least it's cheap!!

Eddie

D

·
0 Posts
Funny that you bring this up Eddie. I just cleaned around the countershaft sprocket before this happened! Is it easy to remove it?

S

·
0 Posts
just buy them from Chris Kelly and get the barnett springs. You know they are not a bnch of junk, not to mention they are from Chris

1 - 14 of 14 Posts