Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a 2001 S4 over the weekend (from a dealer). While on the test ride, I noticed a weird feeling coming from the clutch if I would get on the gas a bit early before having the clutch lever completely out. I changed my technique, so I could avoid this feeling/sound, but I didn't think it was normal.

I asked the dealer if there was something wrong and he reassured me that this was nothing unusual with a dry clutch setup. I disagree, but could someone enlighten me? Basically if I try to do a "drag" style start, meaning lots of gas, feather out the clutch, I'll get a groaning type noise/feeling coming from the bike near the end of the clutch release. I don't think it's the clutch slipping, as power still gets to the ground.

It's not a technique I use that often, but if I'm pulling out onto a busy street, I need to have confidence that I can get on the gas when I need to. Is this a technique issue, a dry clutch issue, both, neither?

The bike as 4200 miles on it, engine was rebuilt by Ducati at 1800miles due to an oil pump failure, so 2400 miles on the new engine. I'm coming off of a 1996 Honda CBR600f3 which I've had since new.

Thanks for any advice!

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
dry clutches definately emit more curious noises than wet ones. sounds normal but your clutch plates may be due for replacement in the coming months. if you decide to swap 'em, i'd suggest going with a clutch pack from barnett. check out www.motowheels.com, www.ca-cycleworks.com or www.yoyodyneti.com for sources. great vendors.
the barnett stack costs less than the ducati stack, weighs less and comes with heavy-duty springs.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm pretty sure all Ducatis do that when the clutch plates get glazed and/or worn out. My M900 did, my S4 did too.

The solution is to take out the plates (very easy actually), sand the surface of the pads (very lightly with a very fine grit) and clean the plates thoroughly with brake cleaner and an old brush. Reinsert the plates and buy or make a ventilated clutch cover (keeps clutch dust from causing slippage). I drilled and dremeled mine, but, for a simple solution, you can remove the rubber gasket between the cover and the bike. Unless the clutch is totally worn out, you should see much improvement. :)

·
Registered
796 Posts
Mine does it every now and then. No biggie.

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks everyone, I'll try to blow the dust out when I have a minute, if not, then I'll get some new clutch plates and maybe a fancy cover. :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts