Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a new Duc owner. The bike is a 05 Monster 620 Dark. It's a fantastic bike, however the bike fell over from the kick stand position. The damage is the clutch lever and mirror. After replacing the lever I noticed the bike will not switch into 1st gear without shutting off. Even thou the lever is squeezed. Seems like the clutch is not engaging. The fluid is full in the reservoir. Someone from the dealer recommended to release the valve at the bottom of the clutch line to drain the fluid. And then replace with new fluid incase there is air in the line. So, I did and now there is no resistance in the clutch lever at all and still is not engaging. Can anyone give me an idea of what I can do at home to get the clutch back working?

·
Registered
67 Posts
It sounds like you have air in the system. Your clutch works on the same princibles as your brake's when you replace the fluid you have to blead the system of air. And you must use DOT4 synthetic.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
To bleed the clutch system do I need any special equipment to put pressure in the line?
Do you know of a link to explain the process?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Very easy to bleed... Remove the cover and fill your reservoir get yourself some 1/4" hose to fit over the bleeder and a coffee can or jar to catch the brake fluid. Be cautious because brake fluid removes paint in a blink of an eye.. Wrap rags around your reservoir to prevent spills on your paint. I think it’s a 10mm wrench for the bleeder screw. Now pump your clutch handle a few times and then hold it, while holding loosen the bleeder and let the brake fluid flow into the jar once the clutch handle reaches the handle bar hold it and close the bleeder screw. Repeat until no air comes out of the ¼” hose. Be mindful of the fluid level not to let it go below the minimum level or you will have to bleed the master.

Now from your first post you drained your fluid and I’m leaning to you will have to bleed your master anyway’s. And do not over tighten your bleeder screw or it will break off.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Sounds like AFLAC has the cure. Sure sounds like air in the line. His bleeding instructions are right-on. If you can't depress the clutch lever and open/close the bleeder valve at the same time you may want to get an assistane. My wife has helped me bleed so many cars and motorcycles that I'd consider her an advanced bleeder assistant.

·
Premium Member
67 Posts
I am new to Ducatis and not familiar with your model. On my 696, there is an adjustable 'pin' that protrudes from the handle to apply pressure on the hydraulic system. Just a silly thought - when you replaced the clutch lever, are you sure it had the acutating 'pin' installed and adjusted enought to act on the hydraulics?

Thanking all the other responses for a lesson in bleeding air from the lines.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, I did everything you said but there is no pressure building up in the line.
Maybe somethings wrong with the master cylinder.
I'm confused.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for that last post Aflac.
I had to bleed the master cylinder.
Your post lead me to a thread that taught me.
Now I know.
Thanks

1 - 10 of 10 Posts