Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
8,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody know how thick clutch plates are when new?

I've got the minimum thickness of 2.8mm from my manual, and I'm going to inspect my clutch as a bit of PM. I'd like to know what they started out at, so I can predict when I'm gonna need to pop for some new plates.

'02 S4, currently at 8100 miles. I'm pretty easy on the clutch, and do as little city and stop'n'go as I can.

What kind of mileage are you folks getting out of your OEM plates?

·
Premium Member
1,679 Posts
Nick, I'm not sure about the plate thickness, but my clutch needed replacing at around 12,000 miles due to excessive wear of the basket/plate tangs. Still gripped fine, just not as smooth a release as one could want...and noisy!

I replaced it with a Surflex slipper from Motowheels. Much smoother, quieter and now all my downshifts are perfect...

An added plus, the pull at the lever is MUCH lighter; one finger.

R

·
0 Posts
mine started going around 12,000 miles, when I pulled the clutch the basket was fudged too and the nut
was stripped....

·
Registered
8,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank, guys. Both of your clutch baskets ready for the bin at 12k... :'( Looks like I may need to plan on more $.

Tom, I was meaning to ask you what clutch assembly you had... the light pull on yours is really sweet. Just checked the MotoWheels site. That's quite a bit more cake than I was expecting... :eek: Wonderful parts, tho..

·
Registered
8,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, I cracked open the clutch to take a look around...
Looks just like every other cycle clutch I've seen, just not all oily.

Basket looks fair to middling. Would've taken a file to the high spots if I had access or time & equipment to pull it out. I'll do that at a later date.

Frictions looked fine, measured from 2.93 - 2.98mm. Minimum is 2.8mm, so there's some life left.

Steels looked OK, this was the worst one:

Hub looked happy, and the throwout bearing was smooth.
Just a tiny bit of rust here & there, and very little dust due to the spacered cover.

Nice that my $$ OEM service manual had the torque value for the spring retainer bolts.. :mad:...f*ckers.
All is reasonably well in clutch land, so I buttoned it back up.

Still would like to know what the friction plate thickness starts out at....

·
Premium Member
1,679 Posts
Thank, guys. Both of your clutch baskets ready for the bin at 12k... :'( Looks like I may need to plan on more $.

Tom, I was meaning to ask you what clutch assembly you had... the light pull on yours is really sweet. Just checked the MotoWheels site. That's quite a bit more cake than I was expecting... :eek: Wonderful parts, tho..
After ball-parking the price of new plates ($200) and an alloy basket ($400), I was contemplating the Moto-label slipper at around $800. In an email exchange with Martin, he mentioned he had this Surflex slipper laying around that, because of a snafu at his shop, was technically a used unit (only 50 miles on it), and he offered it to me at a very good price. Also, if one backs out the cost of an aftermarket slave for the clutch-pull fix, it makes a little more sense (how's THAT for rationalization?).

Your basket doesn't look too bad---yet. But it will. What happens is now that the basket to plate-tang clearance has opened up, the process accelerates, as the various parts bang into each other with increasing momentum. That's why "they" say the aftermarket alum-alloy assemblies can last longer than the steel OEM units; much tighter tolerances.

I certainly hope so...

·
Registered
796 Posts
I just took mine apart and it looks very similar to yours only one problem, when I tried to unscrew the clutch spring screws two of them broke off the at the hub. Now I need a whole new hub. I also cant get the hub off, how did you guys get that nut off of there?

·
Premium Member
5,076 Posts
They sell a tool to hold the hub in order to take the nut off, or if you're handy & have access to a welder, you can make one with 3-4 old clutch plates & a flat peice of steel. Without one, you're really risking breaking something.

·
Registered
796 Posts
Do you have to get the tool from a ducati dealer?

·
Registered
796 Posts
Scott, yes please! if you could check to see what he wants for it that would be great. I am also going to try Chris and see what his sells for.
A local shop told me that they use an impact driver. My neighbor has one but Im not sure its a good idea to just go at it with a 500lb. impact driver. I found a hub for $101 does this sound like a good deal?
One other question, My basket looks just like Speeddog's and the tangs on the plates are smashed down another 1/8 inch so I have a total of about 1/4 inch of play between the basket and plate tangs does this sound like way to much freeplay?
Oh, you can Email me at
[email protected]

·
Registered
8,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I just took mine apart and it looks very similar to yours only one problem, when I tried to unscrew the clutch spring screws two of them broke off the at the hub. Now I need a whole new hub. I also cant get the hub off, how did you guys get that nut off of there?
Try talking to a local machine shop or EDM shop. The machine shop can mill out the broken off bolts, or the EDM shop can burn the bolts out. I used to work at a high end machine shop, we milled out lots of broken bolts and had lots of broken taps EDM'ed out. Possibly cheaper than a new hub....

·
Registered
796 Posts
Well, what happened was one of the bolts was stripped out so I grinded a slot in it like a flat head screw driver. I was trying to tap it out with a small hammer and the whole metal cylinder that the screw goes into (part of the hub itself) broke off at the hub. Then when I took everything off I noticed another one was cracked as well. I guess the previous owner had no clue as to the proper torque. Looks like he put um on with pnuematic tools or something.

·
Registered
796 Posts
I would but I feel silly spending money on cool show parts when I cant even get the bike to run right. ??? once I get it where it needs to be I will start with the fun stuff.

·
Registered
849 Posts
That's what I was getting at - the Cycle Cat clutch cover is actually functional - I wouldn't have broken the tabs off had I had that instead of the "show" carbon fiber one.

-R.

·
Registered
796 Posts
Thanks, I already bought the tool from Chris.

·
Registered
796 Posts
Another question, will I need to bleed the clutch after replacing the hub? I accidentally pulled in the clutch lever and it dawned on me that I may have just caused myself some bleeding time.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts