Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
752 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How long of a life span are you guys/gals getting out of your stock clutches? I shink my is starting to go and it has about 17K miles of heavy usage from city driving.

A side note, do you guys feather the clutch when hitting turns in the city, or blind turns in general? I used to not do this, but I do no as I find too many cagers not in thier respected lanes when turning into some blind streets (blocked view from cars, buildings, etc.) I know this may be a preference of riding style, just curious. Thanks all!

S

·
0 Posts
17k is plenty of miles for the clutch pack. i don't feather the clutch much, but i do float my fingers over the lever when near cagers.
if you think you're due for a replacement, give a barnett stack a try. lighter than stock, better action, and cheaper. also comes with a fresh set of springs.

·
Premium Member
2,952 Posts
I've got 15K on my original clutch as of yesterday. It's ready for replacement. The friction plates are right at minimum service limit but the tangs on the steels are beat to the point that the gap between them and the basket is a little over 1 mm (.6 mm service limit) and that makes them noisier.

I don't slip the clutch, but pull it in frequently when executing slow turns and manuevers to keep the bike from lurching or trying to fall out from under me when near full steering lock. I also ease the clutch out slowly and smoothly on downshifts to minimize rear tire wear. My Avons cost almost as much as a clutch pack, but can be worn out in the middle a lot faster by rough downshifts ;D

I always have two fingers on the clutch lever just for those unpredictable cagers, obstacles, or anything else that may require fast reactions.

If you got 17K out of your clutch - be proud of it and your skill using it properly.

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
That barnett clutch you're talking about, is that for wet clutches as well, or only dry clutches?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts