Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So what is a "normal" life for a clutch on a Monster? Obviously it will vary greatly depending on riding style, but I'm wondering what others have been getting. I have a wet clutch in my M800, so I'm specifically asking about that, but curious about dry clutches also...

G

·
I was wondering the same thing...
I also have an 800, and have just over 10K miles on the bike.
So far, the clutch is holding up pretty well. No signs of slipping as of yet. I would think it should be able to make it to at least 15K no problem.

·
Registered
337 Posts
I have 23K miles on my 900 and although the clutch rattles like a Gatling in neutral, it doesn't slip and the bike shifts just fine. I would like to add to the discussion and also ask what, apart from the obvious symptoms of failure (eg. poor shifting, slipping), indicates that a dry clutch is at the end of its useful life and should be replaced?

·
Premium Member
752 Posts
i have about 20K on the stock clutch for my monster. I have heard that wet clutches last a bit longer.

·
Premium Member
1,200 Posts
I had only 6000 miles on my 900 monster and they needed replaced. I have the flat slides and love to crank the throttle a lot and just wore the poor things out. My 900 SS went almost 20,000 and wore out as soon as I installed the Keihins.

·
Premium Member
1,200 Posts
How did you know it was worn out? Are there any symptoms apart from poor function? Does the sound of the clutch rattle change or become louder?
It will slip when given a handful of gas. You hear the revs go way up and the bike doesn't accelerate. I always replace the springs first. You can measure the height of the clutch pack and compare it to new ones. It is a very noticeable difference.

·
Registered
796 Posts
I just put new springs in my M900 (I too have FCRs and the 944 kit) at 14000mi. The plates looked good but the springs were shot. My basket is not pretty but still functional.

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
I was wondering the same thing...
I also have an 800, and have just over 10K miles on the bike.
So far, the clutch is holding up pretty well. No signs of slipping as of yet. I would think it should be able to make it to at least 15K no problem.
Errrmmm, I've got over 50,000 miles on my 750, and the friction plates still have enough to go before the wear limit that I didn't bother replacing them... I'd really hope you get over 15K out of yours ;-)

(the 800's are wet clutches, right? I hear rumours about poor life on the dry clutches, but I ignore them since I don't have a dry clutch :) )

big

1 - 9 of 9 Posts