Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As the result of putting in a new clutch pack and basket (DesmoTimes.com), I now have a clutch holding tool. If anyone in the RDU area does a clutch change, this tool is a must.

BTW, you could make one from a few friction/steel plates, some steel stock, a few bolts/nuts and a welder. Since I lack the latter, I just bought one from DesmoTimes.

The new clutch is QUIET!!! My old basket and plates were worn to the point of embarrassment!! :-[

The new clutch is more quiet with the open clutch cover than the old one with the closed cover!

·
Registered
84 Posts
Hey Dave,

Just curious...how many miles did you get out of your 1st clutch? (I assume this is the 1st time you've replaced it)

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
27600 miles, but it should have been replaced long before that! [laugh] The distance between a friction plate tine and the notch in the clutch basket was 4.5mm. Spec is 0.5mm!! [laugh]

Swapping in the new clutch was a snap. :)

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
27600... *glances at odomoter on Molly* Maybe I should check on mine the next time I've got her down for an oil change, considering that's about what I've got on my M750 ~

JM

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
the_journeyman said:
27600... *glances at odomoter on Molly* Maybe I should check on mine the next time I've got her down for an oil change, considering that's about what I've got on my M750 ~

JM
If you've got a wet clutch, you'll get more mileage from your clutch than I got from mine.

·
Premium Member
221 Posts
Just to let you guys know, I have many tools including mig and tig welders, bandsaw, lathe/mill, small cnc stuff, among many other useful things.

They hardly get the use they deserve out of me, and I'd be happy to accommodate any of you for small projects and stuff as long as it fits my schedule. I only ask beer in return.

So if you guys need a welder to make a tool, I'm happy to help.. Not ripping on you pompetta for buying the correct tool, buy you could have saved a little money, and had a cool custom tool that you made yourself.

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
alan750 said:
Just to let you guys know, I have many tools including mig and tig welders, bandsaw, lathe/mill, small cnc stuff, among many other useful things.

They hardly get the use they deserve out of me, and I'd be happy to accommodate any of you for small projects and stuff as long as it fits my schedule. I only ask beer in return.

So if you guys need a welder to make a tool, I'm happy to help.. Not ripping on you pompetta for buying the correct tool, buy you could have saved a little money, and had a cool custom tool that you made yourself.
No problem. Next time, I'll drop you a line!!

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Pompetta doesn't make his own tools...

...he waits forever for me to do it for him. ;D

[cheeky]

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Oh, and Dave, would you be willing to part with one of your old clutch plates?

I have a clutch waiting to go in my bike and want to weld up a tool before I take the old clutch out to minimize my downtime.

I mean, it would be a shame to be unable to go over to my mom's garage and listen to my clutch rattle for a couple of days. ;)

·
Premium Member
221 Posts
you think 1 plate is enough? I think it would easily get crooked and maybe bend. probably you need at least 3, with spacers in between to give a decent thickness.

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
alan750 said:
you think 1 plate is enough? I think it would easily get crooked and maybe bend. probably you need at least 3, with spacers in between to give a decent thickness.

Yeah, that's probably a good idea. I hadn't really thought it through yet.

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Now that I've started thinking about this...

Dave, for what element of the design would you use the nuts and bolts that you mentioned? To bolt the tool into the basket? Do you not think it could be held in the basket by hand like a big torx bit?

·
Premium Member
221 Posts
I'm not sure... maybe a clearance issue? I've got a wet clutch and I haven't had my pressure plate off so I'm not really sure what it looks like in there.

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I guess I'll just take a look at my new clutch and figure out how I wanna build this thing before I go put a welding helmet on.

I probably won't have a chance to even think about it for another couple of weeks. I have four midterms next week. :(

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Rameses said:
Pompetta doesn't make his own tools...

...he waits forever for me to do it for him. ;D

[cheeky]
That handle you made is awesome!!

Rameses said:
Oh, and Dave, would you be willing to part with one of your old clutch plates?
Yes. You'll need more than one.

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Rameses said:
Now that I've started thinking about this...

Dave, for what element of the design would you use the nuts and bolts that you mentioned? To bolt the tool into the basket? Do you not think it could be held in the basket by hand like a big torx bit?
I was thinking of bolting the handle to the clutch plates, but you could just weld it on if it were steel.

·
Registered
1 Posts
clutch destruction tool

Sorry for dragging this old thread up, and more apologies for embarrassing everybody with this primitive and neolithic design, but this got the job done for me.

I only had a dremel tool and some drill bits that would not get through the clutch plates. After getting pissed off for a bit, I found a small c-clamp (from the 99cent store - notice the other broken one) and grabbed my locking pliers and got creative. I wish I had the money/tools to do something better, but perhaps someone will appreciate this absolutely terrifying MacGyver action.

I'm pretty sure this is my first post too, haha. All I've got to say is that I'm a poor college student scraping by to hang out in the big leagues with all you awesome other Ducati Owners.
Peace!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts