Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a S4 2001 and I'm having clutch problems. My issue is that the clutch lever feels like its stuck. It will not engage (push the rod). So I went and took a tube, atttached it to the bleeder, and released some fluid.

The slave cyclinder seems as though its stuck or clogged up. Has this happened to anyone else ?

I already ordered a evo slave today, but I'm fearful of this happening again on my other monster.

Of course, the fluid is black, and needs to be changed.

Strati, you know the alignmnet marks for the pressure plate, do you also need to align the clutch plates as well to that mark ? I noticed mine are all over the place.

Thanks for the help !!

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
sorry i didn't get back to you over email, but yeah, sounds like your slave cylinder's siezed. was it stuck before you pulled the p'plate off the rod? i'm wondering what would've caused it. maybe there was some grit in the channel that the throw-out rod passes through and when you reinstalled the p'plate, it got jammed into the slave?
you say you've ordered an evo so you've got nothing to lose here... try unbolting the stock slave, and see if you can pull the clutch lever with it OFF the bike. note!!!! place the slave cylinder in a bucket or some other recepticle to catch the brake fluid. you DON'T want to get any on painted parts. also... pull the lever SLOWLY... if there's built up pressure, you don't want parts flying all over the place when the cylinder comes free of the bore.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hey, thanks for your help. Ok, I did something stupid last night. I took a hammer to the rod when the clutch plate was on trying to release it from the rod hehehe

Anyhow, lesson learned. I guess I'll dump the clutch fluid and replace it with the evo when it comes in tomorrow. Its nice having motostrano in the area as well as motowheel within 60 miles :)

One other question, the clutch pack, the plates with raised edges, there is not much left, about 2 mm or so. How much depth do they typically have ? I am thinking about the barnettt pack. I want the loud ching ching though hehehe

·
Registered
56 Posts
ducati does have a recall on the 01' S4 slave cylinder's. i just had mine replaced. the cool thing is ducati gave me a credit towards a yoyodyne....

hall

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ok, I jsut installed the evo clutch cyl. The pressure plate is off the other side. I see the rod moving back and forth. The question is now, once I have the pressure plate with the prings instlalled, I can;t seem to pull hte lever in. Any ideas ? I mean, its as if the thing is rock solid. Like there is too much spring force or something.

HELP !!!

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I FEEL LIKE A JACK ARSE !!!

Ok, what my problem was, in case anyone else ever has this is that the pressure plate, although triangle pointing with the hash mark, was never properly seated in the grooves !!! I took a walk, a fresh breath, and came back and looked at it.....dough !!!! Something really simple

V

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yeah but at least you got to use a hammer on a clutch! ;D ;D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts