Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was out on my '01 M900 today when I felt the pressure go away from my clutch lever; I turned around and barnstormed toward home 3 miles away. About a mile from home, at the bottom of a hill of coarse, I had no lever action but no loss of fluid from the reservoir. This lever has a 1-4 tension adjustment but nothing effects the clutch. Me and the bike bucked in traffic, unable to find neutral, then had a nice walk down a Chinatown sidewalk to where I could load up into a friends truck. I can still shift through the gears ok. She fell over about 100 miles ago and broke the clutch lever at it's end (2nd time I've filed and shaped a lever round again). Maybe the piston-spring assembly to the master cylinder is damaged, but why would it go out all at once? My clutch has less than 5000 miles on it, new basket and plate-disk kit. Where to look first? Take apart master cylinder? Any help appreciated. Thanks. Dave

·
Registered
635 Posts
I was out on my '01 M900 today when I felt the pressure go away from my clutch lever; I turned around and barnstormed toward home 3 miles away. About a mile from home, at the bottom of a hill of coarse, I had no lever action but no loss of fluid from the reservoir. This lever has a 1-4 tension adjustment but nothing effects the clutch. Me and the bike bucked in traffic, unable to find neutral, then had a nice walk down a Chinatown sidewalk to where I could load up into a friends truck. I can still shift through the gears ok. She fell over about 100 miles ago and broke the clutch lever at it's end (2nd time I've filed and shaped a lever round again). Maybe the piston-spring assembly to the master cylinder is damaged, but why would it go out all at once? My clutch has less than 5000 miles on it, new basket and plate-disk kit. Where to look first? Take apart master cylinder? Any help appreciated. Thanks. Dave
Dave,
I'll from my auto experience, reservoir full, right? Leaks? No, but no action; yes, it's time to replace the clutch master...Unless, you want to take it appart and repair it...From what I tell, private customers, let's get a new one, and also, let's get a new clutch slave...All new, no issues....
my 0.02...

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
clutch failure

Thanks for reply; I'll look today at prices for new master cylinder as opposed to rebuilding old unit. Anyone know of after-market alternatives? I've heard that stock clutch levers were preferred to after-market for some reason. As for the slave cylinder; I'd rather not mess with it as it is working ok; as I remember, right after I bought my bike in '01, there was a recall to correct something with clutch, I believe it was a faulty slave cylinder (that's why it's best to write in detail what changes/repairs are made because years later, I just don't remember). Is clutch fluid the same DOT as brake fluid? I've still got brake fluid left over from rebuilding my front brakes master cylinder. Can I use the same fluid? Thanks again, Dave

·
Registered
635 Posts
Thanks for reply; I'll look today at prices for new master cylinder as opposed to rebuilding old unit. Anyone know of after-market alternatives? I've heard that stock clutch levers were preferred to after-market for some reason. As for the slave cylinder; I'd rather not mess with it as it is working ok; as I remember, right after I bought my bike in '01, there was a recall to correct something with clutch, I believe it was a faulty slave cylinder (that's why it's best to write in detail what changes/repairs are made because years later, I just don't remember). Is clutch fluid the same DOT as brake fluid? I've still got brake fluid left over from rebuilding my front brakes master cylinder. Can I use the same fluid? Thanks again, Dave
Dave,

Do you have radial or axial masters? If you have the later, get radial ones with adjustable levers and do get and aftermarket slave, tried a bike with one, a world of difference in clutch engagement.

As said, my 0.02

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
clutch failure

Yo Carlos, don't know difference between radial and axial masters. I have the stock set up for 2001 M900. Just talked to dealer parts guy, he said no rebuild kit available for my clutch master cylinder(!?). New stock unit is $250. (US) What are the after market alternatives? Maybe I could just find seals for my old master cylinder. Damn, I thought I could find parts for this quickly. Thanks for reply, Dave

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Clutch failure

Thanks Jeff, I just talked to another parts guy, he told me I could buy internal parts separately for my stock master cylinder. What internal parts fail besides the seals? I'm wondering if rebuilding might be a waste of time, I hate breakdowns close to home or 1000 miles from nowhere. In the meantime, I'll try bleeding the system out. Thanks, Dave

·
Registered
663 Posts
Thanks Jeff, I just talked to another parts guy, he told me I could buy internal parts separately for my stock master cylinder. What internal parts fail besides the seals? I'm wondering if rebuilding might be a waste of time, I hate breakdowns close to home or 1000 miles from nowhere. In the meantime, I'll try bleeding the system out. Thanks, Dave
Rebuilding a clutch master is as easy as a brake master, 1 c clip, a couple of seals, maybe a spring, just make sure you don't put them in backwards.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Yo Carlos, don't know difference between radial and axial masters. I have the stock set up for 2001 M900. Just talked to dealer parts guy, he said no rebuild kit available for my clutch master cylinder(!?). New stock unit is $250. (US) What are the after market alternatives? Maybe I could just find seals for my old master cylinder. Damn, I thought I could find parts for this quickly. Thanks for reply, Dave
If not mistaken, your's radial...I know that some of the sponsors carry rebuild kits such as the ones mentioned by jeff. Is not that hard to perform a rebuild as tripod mentioned, just remember to assmeble everything from last to first...

If you feel more comfortable purchasing a new one, there're lots of choices out there. But as I told you on my first post, I recommend my customers to replace both at the same time and is what I recommend you.

The Oberon clutch slave is about $130.00 and a clutch master can cost anywhere from $125.00[used, radial] to $300.00+ new radial...It will depend on what you get...

Just keep us posted on your desicion...

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
have taken clutch master cylinder apart

I've taken it apart and am debating rebuilding with new seals and rubber boot or just buying a new master cylinder. The metal tapered piston that the lever pushes through the rubber boot is severely scored. Must have happened when the bike fell off its kickstand. I may be able to buy the seals and boot but don't you all agree that this unit is toast do to the bad piston? Been trying to find a new Oberon to compare prices, but I don't see any online, only Oberon slave cylinders. The unit posted in thread above is back-ordered. No cheap way out. Thanks you guys. Dave

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Motowheels reliable?

Thanks Carlos for the threads. Motowheels has a clutch master cylinder for $164. Good deal but they're out of stock so I left them contact info as they requested. Have you or anyone else ever dealt with this company before? I hate buying parts from companies that you can't talk to in person over the phone. Point of interest: the 13mm designation for this master cylinder must refer to the bore of the cylinder on the cylinder body where the short hose from the resevor goes into the black 90 degree plastic elbow fitting. (elbow fitting is 13mm) That's what my calipers tell me. Stock Ducati part # for their Brembo master cylinder is 630 400 41D. I'm pretty sure this is the same as the "Goldline" unit that Motowheels advertises with their part # 10.6940.23. Thanks again, Dave

·
Registered
635 Posts
Thanks Carlos for the threads. Motowheels has a clutch master cylinder for $164. Good deal but they're out of stock so I left them contact info as they requested. Have you or anyone else ever dealt with this company before? I hate buying parts from companies that you can't talk to in person over the phone. Point of interest: the 13mm designation for this master cylinder must refer to the bore of the cylinder on the cylinder body where the short hose from the resevor goes into the black 90 degree plastic elbow fitting. (elbow fitting is 13mm) That's what my calipers tell me. Stock Ducati part # for their Brembo master cylinder is 630 400 41D. I'm pretty sure this is the same as the "Goldline" unit that Motowheels advertises with their part # 10.6940.23. Thanks again, Dave
Dave,

The bold statement is correct, but, then you mention calipers, my clutch master is 13mm and my brake master is ??? , asume 13mm, since it's an axial master and I will be making the change to radial this year. Either I use the 749S masters I have or somehow come up with $400 for a complete set from a M1100S[radial], pluls the "Goldline' 2 pad calipers and after all these is on the bike, an Oberon slave clutch cylinder.

Yes, I've communications with Motowheels regarding parts for my bike before[answered fast and precise], and then was terminated from my previous job and since have been rebuilding my bike with used and when possible new parts.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts