Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Re: Clutch / Brake Lines - Steel braided vs. kevla

if you've got rubbers on now (that sounds really bad doesn't it?), go with kevlar. if you've got steel, you've gotta be a REAL stickler to spring the $$$ for kevlar. steel lines are pretty [email protected] sweet to begin with and kevlar lines are pretty [email protected] expensive!
i've been shaving weight off here and there all over my s4 and was taking a HARD look at kevlar lines for the brakes and oil-lines but i just flatout couldn't justify the cost.

S

·
0 Posts

My SS came with steel and I haven't used Kevlar, but I can tell you what I read, FWTW.

Steel seems to be the best material since it does not stretch or expand, while Kevlar, which doesn't expand stretches lengthwise. On the street though, neither this nor the weight savings should make much difference. If you have the extra $$ and prefer blue to silver, buy the Kevlar. If you already have steel and like blue, buy the Kevlar, if you have rubber and want an improvement, go steel, if you live in Pittsburgh I guess there is no other choice but steel.

M

·
0 Posts

I switched over to Fren Kevlar hoses from Goodridge braided steel sheathed lines purely because I like to piss away my hard earned money researching whether things are really better if they cost more

The Fren Kevlar lines seem to give "tighter" more direct feel through the levers....like zero sponginess.....maybe it is just because I bled the various hydraulics better when I installed them....

actually the difference is there but it is more of a nuanced difference...not a (holy sh!t and wow) blatant one

·
Registered
426 Posts

but I can tell you what I read,
Steel seems to be the best material since it does not stretch or expand, while Kevlar, which doesn't expand stretches lengthwise.

·
Registered
555 Posts

stainless lines rub on something.....the lines can work like a saw . I have seen lines wear a groove into aluminum fork tubes. you can get(should) covered lines that are much less prone to doing this.

kevlar lines rub on something.......the brake line abraids. be extra careful with routing or cover the lines with some spiral wrap. I have also seen kevlar lines have the outer covering de-laminate.....yep flakes of blue chipping off everywhere.

bottom line whatever lines you go with keep an eye on them.
as to feel ...the pressure differences are both at such high level .by the time you could tell the difference on the bike you would have just catapulted yourself into the next county.
cheers

S

·
0 Posts

"Horse Hockey your repeating the same old story from someone who has no idea what they are talking about. The FACT is the casing of the hose doesn't do sh!t. The liner is thick walled teflon tubing it does ALL the work the cover is there to protect the Teflon period."

Hey Alex, tell us what you really think! Sheesh. ??? Didn't I say that I was only repeating what I read FWTW? What's with the harsh tone?

·
Registered
426 Posts

Nothing personal I just don't think it is of much value "repeating what you have heard". I don't respond to every thread just ones I think my first hand experience might be of some help. I am sorry please don't take it personal just one of my pet peeves.

·
Registered
3,043 Posts

i was impressed with steel... no experience with kevlar, but steel was a HUGE step up from rubber.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts