Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, just curious if any of you out there have used a paulimoto brand clutch basket??? And if so how was it long term as far as wear? I am due for a new basket ...my stock one is beat and it is time for some new clutches so I was considering the paulimoto clutch basket with a stock set of clutches with the aluminum ears so I won't destroy this new basket. ...thanks

·
Registered
6,266 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,988 Posts
I had someone who makes a slipper clutch mention that a Barnett basket with the steel tabes, along with the rest of the slipper mechanism, might be a good way to go. The idea being that the Barnett should wear longer.

LA

·
Registered
930 Posts
I have a DP one, but it isn't in as of yet.

I have heard great things of Paulimoto, but the Barnett makes tons of common sense to me.

·
Premium Member
490 Posts
I just got the mpl-tuning one with the titanium inserts from ebay, I havn't got it in yet but it extemly well made and not a bad price.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I am leaning towards the paulimoto only because I recently had a bad experience with a Barnett clutch in my wife's monster. I ended up taking it out and sending it back and going back to a stock clutch which fixed all the problems I was having with it. I'm thinking that with the Paulimoto aluminum basket and the aluminum stock clutches they will probably not wear and groove as easily as with the stock steel basket... just wasn't sure of Paulimoto's fit and finish etc.

·
Premium Member
5,761 Posts
We've sold all three.

The Paulimoto uses an aluminum retaining ring that is part of the basket that I don't trust. The others use a steel strap to hold the fingers of the basket together.

The Barnett is a very noisy for an aluminum clutch basket and I did not like the engagement when worn.

The Pro cutting is made of 7000 series aluminum ( all others are made of 6000 series) and lasts a long time. In 5 years, we have never replaced a single unit. We sell them under the Motowheels label and package them with Surflex friction discs (rather than use Barnett discs).

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
I've asked this before to no avail. I will try again...

Are there aftermarket baskets available for the wet clutch bikes?

I have a '04 M800 with that funky spring loaded basket. I would like to get rid of it.

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
You didn't ask but...

I put in the DP aluminum basket and plates just a few thousand miles ago. I'm frankly surprised by the wear on the basket finger from the outmerost plate. It is pretty quiet, but I'm doubtful I'll get anything like the 25,000 mi I gout out of my stock steel setup.

We'll see how it goes, but the baskets with steel inserts sound good. OTOH, they could wear the hell out of the plate tangs :-\

·
Registered
6,266 Posts
Desmo Elmer said:
I've asked this before to no avail. I will try again...

Are there aftermarket baskets available for the wet clutch bikes?

I have a '04 M800 with that funky spring loaded basket. I would like to get rid of it.
Just fit a clutch from an earlier 620. If you want Ill trade my stock 620 clutch for yours.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Just fit a clutch from an earlier 620. If you want Ill trade my stock 620 clutch for yours.
Thanks for the offer but I'm not sure you'd want this basket...

You know what I mean by "spring loaded" right? Just to be clear I'm not talking about the APTC (sp?) clutch like in the s2r 800 and newer 620s. This basket set-up is evidently unique to the M800. (maybe 800ss) Supposedly some kind of "cushioning" effect is provided by these springs, but it looks cheezy to me...

IMO this clutch does not perform very well, "honks" and "shudders" if called on for extreme duty. Clutch assisted wheelies and drag racing are out of the question with this clutch, (not that I ever try that stuff :p) I've been living with it for two seasons, but continue to wonder if there is something better out there.

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
Desmo Elmer said:
Thanks for the offer but I'm not sure you'd want this basket...

You know what I mean by "spring loaded" right? Just to be clear I'm not talking about the APTC (sp?) clutch like in the s2r 800 and newer 620s. This basket set-up is evidently unique to the M800. (maybe 800ss) Supposedly some kind of "cushioning" effect is provided by these springs, but it looks cheezy to me...

IMO this clutch does not perform very well, "honks" and "shudders" if called on for extreme duty. Clutch assisted wheelies and drag racing are out of the question with this clutch, (not that I ever try that stuff :p) I've been living with it for two seasons, but continue to wonder if there is something better out there.
sounds like you need to upgrade to the APTC or do a dry clutch conversion...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts