Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey again guys. '03 620 dark. Here's the deal.

There's a good inch of free play in my clutch lever before I actually feel the pressure of the piston. When I first got the bike, it felt a lot tighter and smoother. I also had a chance to feel some new bikes at my local dealer and they feel rock solid and smooth. The way it should.

I've bled my clutch for hours. I bled at the banjo bolt at the master. I clamped down the piston in the slave and bled from there. As far as I can tell, there is no air. fluid comes out clean in both locations. However, even with the slave cylinder clamped down there is a good inch of free play in my lever. I understand it's supposed to be rock solid. I would love for it to be but I can't figure this out.

Am I missing something? Is there an adjustment in the lever somewhere? I see a slotted screw with a bunch of hard glue crap in it implying that i'm not supposed to go there. Any help is appreciated.

-J

·
Premium Member
1,277 Posts
If you can dig all the crap out you can adjust it there. That will definately make it feel better. There may be another issue but.

·
Premium Member
1,941 Posts
If you have an inch of freeplay at the lever then your problem is elsewhere. It's not in the lever adjustment so don't go messing with that. You'll be going down the wrong street trying to fix a symptom and not the cause.

I'd pull off the slave cylinder and look for signs of fluid leaking. Also check the clutch release pushrod that comes out of the case. Does it pull out? Do you have about an inch or so sticking out of the case? If you push it in by hand do you have a good firm resistance with that inch or so still sticking out? If the rod looks good and all that you will likely have a problem in the slave cylinder. Second most likely culprit would be the master.

This is assuming that you are bleeding the system correctly and are getting all the air out.

There is also the outside chance that the big nut that holds the inner clutch hub has come loose. While possible that'd be pretty wild. I had it happen on a Norton.

·
Premium Member
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the advice. I'm not thinking it's the push rod because I still have the inch of lever play when I compress the slave piston all the way down using a socket extension and c-clamp. I see no leaks in my slave. Actually the slave looks to be in terrific shape.

I feel like it's in the master. What can I do to troubleshoot the master? I've cracked the banjo and thought I got all the air out.

-J

·
Premium Member
1,941 Posts
jonnymorrow said:
I feel like it's in the master. What can I do to troubleshoot the master? I've cracked the banjo and thought I got all the air out.

-J
If you have all the air out then you have finished troubleshooting and it is the master. If all the air is out.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts