Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The wifes got a 02' 620 Dark (5 spd) and it seems to have a lot of throw between the gears, so much that it clunks when shifted... Is this normal for these bikes??

Any input from you fellow 5 speed 620 dark guy's (and gals) would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

;D

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
mine was the same way

·
Premium Member
4,093 Posts
Mine(2002 620ie dark) didn't used to be that way, but lately I have noticed it. It has 7800 miles. And I just had it to FBF for new tires and ask them to run it thru the gears and make sure everything was ok, they said it was... so it doesn't bother me too much any more since the experts said it is okay! ;D

·
Premium Member
743 Posts
Mine(2002 620ie dark) didn't used to be that way, but lately I have noticed it. It has 7800 miles. And I just had it to FBF for new tires and ask them to run it thru the gears and make sure everything was ok, they said it was... so it doesn't bother me too much any more since the experts said it is okay! ;D
Deb, did they say the tranny was okay, or the noise was okay?

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think most of the monster's are notorious for rough shifting. Seems that the wet clutches more so.

·
Premium Member
1,488 Posts
I've actually found the smooth clutchless upshifts are the easiest way to shift the Monster nicely. If done correctly it just pops into gear very quickly and smoothly. Practicing the clutchless shifting to get to that point might take a few weeks though...

·
Registered
211 Posts
Mine has always been kind of klunky. I think it's a ducati thing...

·
Banned
3,931 Posts
The three Ducatis I've owned have all clunked into gear whenever I haven't been able to match revs (like when stopped).

It's part of the "Character". 8)

·
Premium Member
4,093 Posts
Deb, did they say the tranny was okay, or the noise was okay?
They said the clutch and the transmission was fine, and they heard no unusaul noise.

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
The wifes got a 02' 620 Dark (5 spd) and it seems to have a lot of throw between the gears, so much that it clunks when shifted... Is this normal for these bikes??
Check the chain slack and change the oil if it hasn't been done for a while - those two things make a _big_ difference to how clunky the shift on my '99 M750 feels...

big

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
The chain tension is often the culprit, also adjusting the shift linkage so that you get the most "positive" throw of the lever tends to help. Remember, do it for her position on the bike, not yours :eek: When people go to "GP" shift or reverse pattern, it is usaly done with a shifter right off the shaft, no linkage at all. This offers for the most positive feel IMO

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for all the replies... I rechecked the chain tension, and it seems to be good, the shifter on the other hand could stand to be adjusted though.

Could a lighter weight oil like the Mobil 1 10w-40 motorcycle oil be the culprit? I just changed the oil, and went with the lighter stuff because it getts a little cool here at night, and I wanted to maximize circulation in the mornings.

Thanks

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
When I bought my 02 620 used, the "chunk" had me concerned but surfing around these Tech messages put me at ease because that just seems to be the way the are (full of character). ;) I was having a lot of false nuetrals too, but then the went away.
I noticed a big difference when I changed the oil. I run a 5W50 full synthetic now. Starts easier and stays cooler with this, but its really hot here in So Cal. 8)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts