Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I started hearing a clunking sound at around 1500 miles between 2k-3.5k rpm range. I got my chain adjusted, applied some chain lube and the sound reduced. Meanwhile I also installed loud slip-on exhaust which overpowered the clunking. Last week (around 2800 miles) I started hearing the clunking again (even louder). I can hear the clunking when the bike is rolling and the clutch is pulled in. I don't hear this sound when the bike is idle. I showed the chain to the local motorcycle shop and they said the chain is worn out. I find it hard to believe that the chain will wear out so soon. I dropped the monster at the dealership because this looks bigger than just the chain. The dealership has not gotten back to me yet.

Has anyone else experienced this kind of problem, please share your experience. I hate the fact my bike is at the dealership for repair during the best riding days of the year.

Thank you.

·
Premium Member
5,076 Posts
Too tight wears a chain pretty quick (and transmission output shaft bearings). Maybe a stiff link?

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The chain seemed loose at 1500 miles when I started hearing the clunk. Then I got it tightened and lubed. It could be a stiff link that is causing all the clunk, but the local motorcycle shop thinks the whole chain is badly worn out. I am just wondering if there could be anything wrong somewhere else that is causing the chain to wear out.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Oh man! I hope the dealership fixes this at no charge. It sounds like they didn't get the tension right when they assembled the bike. The dealership should adjust the sag and suspension to fit your size, just good customer service.

·
Premium Member
5,076 Posts
Good luck with a chain warranty, just buy a new chain and call it experience.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It turns out that the bearing in the rear wheel was loose/faulty. The dealership has ordered the part for me but it might take few days. They are going to cover this under the warranty. Not sure if such things are common in new Ducs or not but atleast the dealership is making is relatively painless at the moment.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.