Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. I started my '99 900 Monster the other day for the first time in a couple of weeks...quick lap around the block...checked oil level through the window and noticed a milky, cloudy film on the inside of the peep site. Bike runs just fine but it is actually to the point where its hard to see the oil level clearly due to this unknown white substance. Any thoughts?

·
Premium Member
4,093 Posts
That is normal cold weather oil sludge, a good long ride usually clears it up, OR warm weather!!

M

·
0 Posts
condensation...moisture...no worry....take long ride ....heat the oil up and it evaporates

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
150 miles friday, some of it 80-100 mph. the site glass still has mayo all over it. i just live with it. it is normal, and not to worry about.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks guys...good to hear. Had the bike for 2 yrs now..first time I noticed it....kinda nasty looking to be honest..

·
Banned
3,931 Posts
You're less likely to have a milky sight glass if you use synthetic or semisynthetic oil. Long rides have never done anything to improve the problem on any of the Ducatis I've owned. Half a quart of synthetic oil added to the engine once cleared it up right away.

·
Premium Member
743 Posts
Been using synthetic, no help. A few long rides will take care of it, but a subsequent ride in foggy SF will bring it back in just few miles.

·
Registered
127 Posts
After your oil is good and warm, tilt the bike to the left so that the heated oil can reach the offending film. If you really want to get rid of it until the next cold weather spin....thats all it takes.
Ride Safe,
JJ

·
Registered
403 Posts
Mine does it also and I use synthetic. I don't worry because I can't quite see it while I am riding. :p

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
Many of us in "non ideal" climates have fabricated temporary covers for our oil coolers, allowing the engine to run warmer in cold ambients. This helps with the sight glass film.

Problem is the carbed bikes have no temperature gauge, so we're going on experience in deciding when to use and when not to use the cover.

It's not a science ;)

·
Premium Member
147 Posts
My fogs if I start it on a cold day and don't run it for long.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I love this group! Have I said that enough?
I just noticed the milky oil (it's a cool, wet day here) and almost freaked-out. I figured, I'd check with y'all before I went apesh*t, and lo and behold, you all put my fears to rest! I'm off on a longish ride to clear things up!
Thanks thanks thanks!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts