Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Premium Member
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
O.K. I am lokking to put more weight on the front along with a more aggressive riding position, like a supersport. I asked if anyone had any experience with Rizoma clipons and since there was no response I will assume no one has. I have also been looking at the cyclecat addapters, but was told the rizoma would put me a little lower. I went to the dealer today to ask their opinion and they recomended I switch to handlebars. Now, from the looks out it the handlebar option seems to have a lot more options.

What are the advantages and disadvantages between the two?

Is one more prone to tank slappers than the other?

Thanks

S

·
0 Posts
go with cyclecat if you can afford it. it soooo nice !!!! and sooooo adjustable....

·
Banned
3,931 Posts
Is one more prone to tank slappers than the other?
A few years ago, when the DML was e-mail only, it was thought that clipons "improved the odds" of being involved in a tank slapper. I've manage to prove that stock bars on a Monster can also lead to a serious tank slapper.

If you're at all concerned about being involved in a tank slapper (and every Monster rider should be), get a good steering damper, then do what ever feels and/or looks best to you regarding the bars.

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
I don't know what you mean by "handlebars." I mean, if you're bike is stock, that's what you have, no?

Do you mean aftermarket handlebars with a different bend?
Please clarify.

As to tank slappers, I believe that the lower riding position and consequent weight shift forward helps prevent slappers.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Ditto, not understanding your terminology. You already have handlebars, assuming your bike is stock.

FWIW, I found my bike to be much more comfortable after installing clipons. Also, the only tankslapper I've ever had (crosses fingers) was with the stock bars.
Dion

R

·
0 Posts
I believe he has an S4 as to the issue of handlebars......I don't know if those are handlebars or what to call them really....ST bars?
Maybe talk to Motowheels, Martin was looking into info on, I think

S

·
0 Posts
I believe he has an S4 as to the issue of handlebars......I don't know if those are handlebars or what to call them really....ST bars?
that's correct. pro-italia has a kit to install handlebars on an s4, but i think it would be a better solution to just install a top triple + handlebar off any '02+ monster (other than an s4 of course). but i'd rather not go with handlebars personally. i opted for clip-ons.

Maybe talk to Motowheels, Martin was looking into info on, I think

·
Registered
100 Posts
I've been chasing this subject on the monsterUK sight aswell as elsewhere on this one. I've posted asking for a swap of my S4 yoke / bars with anyone who wants the crouched down sports position that I don't, no joy. Also tried various breakers, ebay for just a later model yoke, it would be easier to find a bar mount ashtray! The Ducati kit, as far as I know, has steel bars (no thanks) so I'd still have to buy Renthals or older m900 bars on top of the cost of the conversion. Stuart at Spareshack has a very reasonably priced billet yoke with bar clamps which he will sell with a pair of Renthals for a bit less than the Ducati kit,

N

·
0 Posts
definitely a newbie question buuuuuttt... what EXACTLY is a 'tankslapper' ???no mockery please;)

·
0 Posts
When the tank slaps the ground.
Basically, when you own your bike.

R.

·
Premium Member
1,928 Posts
definitely a newbie question buuuuuttt... what EXACTLY is a 'tankslapper' ???no mockery please;)
A tankslapper is an uncontrolled, self amplified side-to-side gyration of the front end.

A lighter version would usually be refered to as a headshake, but when it grows to the piont where the steering it going lock-to-lock and the bars come close to hitting the tank it becomes a tankslapper (on a bike where the steering stops aren't adjusted to prevent the bars from hitting the tank, the bars or the rider's hands can actually 'slap' the tank.)

Some riders occaisionally can ride out a tank slapper, but they usually result in a crash.

--Fillmore

·
0 Posts
My fault. I though incorrectly. Must be reading too many science books and I'm out the loop. Sorry dude.

R.

·
Premium Member
5,076 Posts
A tank slapper is when your front wheel starts to ocolate out of control (like a bad shopping cart), so badly that the handlebars almost hit the tank on either side. It is usually associated with minimum trail and a light front end. The end result is frequently a crash, but not always. It WILL, however, require a change of underwear!!

·
Premium Member
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yes my s4 is stock but I have the 02 model which does not have a solid handlebar, but two individual bars on each side(sorry really don't know what to call them).

As far getting a new triple so I can put clipons below, why exactly do I need a new triple? It won't work with the one I have?

If I raise the tie-rod what will it do besides raise the back or is that my answer?

Are the steel handlebars to heavy, is that why you don't like them or is it the angle?

Thanks for all the info and sorry I don't kow how to stick in a line from another post.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Gee, I always thought a "tankslapper" was when the stops actually do break and the bars dent the tank. Other than that it's just a "headshaker."

Still no problem with the Monster (knocking wood).

-Don

·
Premium Member
1,928 Posts
I think by original definition you're right, that's exactly how I heard the term originated as related to older Brit iron.

I guess people have applied the term to the same phenomenon on modern bikes, the only difference being that it might be harder to actually bust the stops off on many modern bikes. ;D

--Fillmore

N

·
0 Posts
so basically its a whole lot of shakin and sh*ttin in my draws that one would want to avoid entirely! thanks everyone!

·
Premium Member
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I spoke with Alfed at Cyclecat and he mentioned the shorter rise used with the adapter will enable me to lower clipons by about 21/2 inch below stock. He also mentioned they can make the risers to go even lower than that. Sounds good since they can still be adjusted.

R

·
0 Posts
Yes my s4 is stock but I have the 02 model which does not have a solid handlebar, but two individual bars on each side(sorry really don't know what to call them).

As far getting a new triple so I can put clipons below, why exactly do I need a new triple?

·
Premium Member
3,677 Posts
Also, should you experience and subsequently survive a tank slapper, gradually add in some front brake lever. You may find that the mass of the brake rotors has moved on the spring washers and pushed the brake caliper pistons away from the rotor. Many racers crash in the first turn after a tank slapper due to no brakes.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts