Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those of you that have put clipons on your Monster: How did it effect the handling of your bike ? Did it bring it closer to the feeling of a full on sport bike ?

Thanks!

S

·
0 Posts
i originally felt pretty confident on my s4, but at speeds over 70mph, the front felt kinda light and flighty. switching to clip-ons brought a bit of weight over the front wheel and it made quite a difference for me on how planted the front end feels. adding rearsets helped complete the ergonomic package as well but weren't as great a contributor in that regard.

H

·
0 Posts
I'll second strati's comments, but I did find the rear-set to be a big part of the total package. I now can hang off much further than before in the corners.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys---the reason I'm asking is now that I have a sportbike I can compare the rides between that and the S4R. Not trying to compare apples to oranges, but I'm noticing that the GSXR 600 is "easier" to ride and its the position of my hands on the S4R that feels like the biggest difference.

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
I noticed the change Strati mentioned; the stock bars caused me to feel unstable at speed with some front end wobble, apparently induced by all the air my upper body caught and induced motion transferred to the bars.

Clip-ons settled it down.

Also noticed that I felt more "in" rather than "on" the bike with clip-ons. Noticably more confident in aggressive cornering.

For a Monster used exclusively as a "city bike" I might say don't bother, but if you use it like a sport bike, you really should give clip-ons a shot. I'm pretty sure you'll be pleased with the result.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Humungus: See my "weight reduction" thread in which I describe how my S4 was recently weighed on a set of track scales, and was found to be "tail heavy" (216.5 lb on rear, 210 lb on front) before even adding the rider! Adding the rider makes it worse.

In addition, in the Ducati Maintenance Guide I bought recently (you know the $22 book from the Florida source), he mentions the Monsters specifically as being tail heavy, and the cure being to put more weight on the front end for better handling.

I am getting data right now on CycleCat rearsets and triple/ riser/clip-ons from Alfred at CycleCat. CycelCat's range of adjustability is fantastic.

Jim G

·
Premium Member
743 Posts
It depends on what kind of riding you like better. For technical roads, you want to stay upright and have good leverage (wide and high) on you forks.

For high-speed or track oriented riding, clip-ons. Just understand that each has its advantages under different circumstances.

·
Premium Member
2,952 Posts
I just put CC clipons on a couple of weeks ago. Handling and feedback feel better. But my neck hurts now from the angle I have to look "up" to see straight ahead.

I'm anxious to see how they feel on the next track day.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Ok i've read a bunch of posts about how much clip-ons and rearsets help with control of the bike. My question is sort of a newb question. When purchasing clip-ons, what additional parts are needed. I see that ca-cycleworks sells the DBR-3. As far as i can tell only thing additional i will need is the master cylinder spacer kit. Can somebody with clip-ons on a 99 M750 help me out here? I want to get clip-ons but i dont want to order parts and then realize in the middle of the install that i'm missing something. TIA guys

·
Registered
426 Posts
Generally with Cycle Cat products you won't need anything that's not in the box. Of course if you cut your grips off you will need new grips ;). For some applications and I don't recall Ducati being one of those a longer throttle cable is needed and to keep cost down a coupon is included to get your cable made longer so if you have one of those bikes that takes a week with shipping I would guess. One exception is the coffin master cylinder they require a special spacer which Cycle Cat makes and needs to be ordered separately. It wouldn't make sense to burden everybody with buying this part when only a fraction of the buyers need it. Another common upgrade is to change master cylinders to the separate reservoir type if you are inclined to do that you save yourself a little money by doing it all at once. More then likely you can sell your spacer kit later pretty easily.

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
Jon,

my '99 is a 900, but I'd expect you have the same brake M/C which is the separate resevoir type, not coffin.

In that case, you would not need the spacer kit.
You will also not need longer cables or hoses. I don't think any of us on this list have had any problem. Because the new position will be lower than the stock risers, there's plenty of slack, though you will need to loosen things up in order to get the hoses to run without kinks (and retighten them when you're done).

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks all ! I think I'll give clipons a try some time this summer....no reason not to :)

·
Registered
669 Posts
thanks a bunch Don and 908SSP. Now i just gotta convince the misses that i need clip-ons for my b-day ;)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts