Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
been considering clip-ons for '95 m900. figure that is a good way to stretch out riding position a bit while reducing windage (this way i'd be better served by my CF DP windscreen). any recommendations on what's out there that plays nice with our monsters? thanks...

F

·
0 Posts
Cyclecats!

Although I have no experience with any others, I found the CC to be better than expected. Their customer service is great. ;D

·
Premium Member
1,928 Posts
I've used Redline and RoadRacing, and they're fine, basic, easy to install clip-ons.

After tearing up my wrist in a crash, there are no options for me other than Cycle Cat because the adjustabillity is unmatched and allows me to revieve the stress on torn tendons.

Even if I didn't have the injury, I think the quality, looks, and adjustabillity makes Cycle Cat the best value, even if the price is more than other clip-ons that I've used.

--Fillmore

·
Registered
8,800 Posts
Not to sound repetitive, but ...CycleCat.

Supreme functional jewelry for your Duc.

S

·
0 Posts
alternative suggestion (gasp!)...
yes, c'cats are super-snazzy, but they're also pretty damn pricey.
if you're looking for a less expensive option, track down some used stock clip-ons from a pre'99 supersport. bolts right on, and typically pretty cheap.

but if you can drop the $$, go with c'cats!

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
I'm on the verge of installing some 99+ SuperSport clip-ons. I think you may have to drop the bike on the forks a bit. I like these the best because they are "factory"..and they wont dress up the bike to much. The Cycle-cats are almsot TO nice.. :_D

H

·
0 Posts
Dropping the bike on the forks will alter the handling more than you could imagine. doing this will put alot more weight on the front tire. you might want to rethink that plan.

W

·
0 Posts
Anyone who has some pictures of a M620 with Cycle Cat clip-ons installed ?

Thx,
WoKe

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
Herb,

you're full of... Oh never mind. ;)

Per Sport Rider magazine article on suspension tuning: it is a common misconception that dropping the front affects the handling by shifting weight to the front. the weight shift is minimal; difficult to measure even.

There IS a big change in handling, but it comes from the fact that the steering geometry is changed. The fork rake becomes steeper, improving responsiveness at the expense of reduced stability. It is a tradeoff many of us are happy to make.

The change will slightly reduce cornering clearance as well (the geometry again). It may not matter to you, particularly on the street. The track is another matter. All Monsters could use MORE rather than LESS clearance on the track.

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
I think I'll only have to drop the bike a few MM's..is taht going to screw me?

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
I would think the difference in handling for 2-3mm in front will be fine.... far from the too-twitchy zone. I would expect that you will be able to notice the difference, but it won't be a "WHOA" kind of diff.

H

·
0 Posts
I dropped mine about 5mm, seems to be more responsive, especially noticeable on REALLY tight, REALLY fast turns.

H

·
0 Posts
Also, I noticed that on the non adjustable forks, there's alot more fork tube above the top clamp than my adjustable Showa. For me to top mount clip-ons, I'd have to raise the forks an inch. I wouldn't even be able to ride it then. Be like a rodeo! HEE HAW!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts