Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So clip-ons either come or can be set up with a slight (5-10%) downslope, upslope, or flat.

Downslope seems like it meets the natural angle of the arms as they come to meet the bar, upslope reminds me of my mountain bike and seems more flickable but less comfortable over distances, and flat seems a good compromise.

What works best for street/twisties real world riding???

G

·
mtn mike, take a look at the cycle cat post I just put up. there is a pic of my cycle cat bars. Love them, and the adjustability. Yes, downward slope feels great.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ok, down is good. anyone out there set up their clip-ons with an upsweep??? how's it workin'?

·
Registered
374 Posts
My CC have an up sweep right now and they felt great on the 30 mile twisty ride I had the other day. I haven't had a chance to try the other settings yet.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Actually Cycle Cat clip ons are incapable of an upward angle they go from 0 to 8 down. I guess you could mount them upside down or the right one on the left side but they weren't meant to be used that way. The angle is measured relative to the fork tube if the fork tube is vertical. The old 900ss had a 0 degree angle and was often criticized by the media for the weird clipon angle. SBK have a 10 degree downward slope. I find a 4 degree downward angle works well for me on the street and a 8 degree angle works better on the track. For the really tall risers on S4 or ST's I still like a few degrees downward angle.

·
Registered
374 Posts
I have adjustment ability from 1.25" above stock position (what I consider up) to -1.75" below stock position (which I consider down). Just clarifing what I said.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have adjustment ability from 1.25" above stock position (what I consider up) to -1.75" below stock position (which I consider down).

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have adjustment ability from 1.25" above stock position (what I consider up) to -1.75" below stock position (which I consider down).

G

·
The DBR 13 is meant to go under the stock triple but can also go above if you want a taller position, you might want to ask c cat if you would perhaps need longer lines? Also I would assume that the DBR 13 being a 50mm 'S' clamp with 2.5" rise would also be available with a 1.5" rise? if wanting to go above the triple and finding the 2.5" rise too much...Alex or Alfred should be able to assist you.

·
Premium Member
147 Posts
Having ridden standards rather than sportbikes, I find the downslope of the stock S4 bars to be a little ackward. I also note that was one of the changes on the S4R. Jus personal preference I guess.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The DBR 13 is meant to go under the stock triple but can also go above if you want a taller position, you might want to ask c cat if you would perhaps need longer lines? Also I would assume that the DBR 13 being a 50mm 'S' clamp with 2.5" rise would also be available with a 1.5" rise? if wanting to go above the triple and finding the 2.5" rise too much...Alex or Alfred should be able to assist you.
sent an email to alex this morning, he responded this afternoon, pretty cool.

when i mentioned i might not want to go as high as a dbr13 does above the triple, he suggested something called the S15-50. i couldn't find a reference to it on the cyclecat site though, so i'm not sure what it looks like or what the rise is, only that it's a side mount.

he says cyclecat is coming out with a new clip-on specifically for above the triple installation. of course, perfectionists that these guys are, it will come with a whole new top triple adapter (for my bike anyway) and cost extra $$$$$.

·
Registered
374 Posts
sent an email to alex this morning, he responded this afternoon, pretty cool.

when i mentioned i might not want to go as high as a dbr13 does above the triple, he suggested something called the S15-50.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Alfred also responded to my email, and gave me the lowdown on their risers, which I'll share for those interested and/or as clueless as me:

"The nomenclature our risers is as follows: F or S refers to Front or Side mounting. The next number, 5, 15, 25, refers to the height of the riser in inches, measured from the top of the clamp ring to the middle of the handlebar, where it mounts to the riser. Thus, an F25 riser is a front mount riser, 2 1/2" high from clamp to bar. Finally, the last number refers
to the fork tube diameter in mm. Thus, an F25-50 is a front mount riser, 2 1/2" high from clamp to bar, with a 50mm clamp ring. All clamp rings are 1" wide.

All risers are priced the same - MSRP $110 ea. That said, any kit can be customized with any particular risers at no additional charge. However, typically, we select those risers, for the standard kits, which provide the greatest range of adjustment and which, based upon the input we get from riders, will meet the greatest number of rider requirements. Often, individuals wish to use a riser other than that which we spec as standard, and buy customized kits, only to find that are, indeed, interference problems... We do go through every imaginable fitment before settling on kit components".

So what I think I want is the DBR13 w/ the S15-50 riser for mounting above the triple clamps, although....

Alex thinks I'll be happier with the new specifically above the triple clamp risers that should be available in 2-3 weeks.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts