Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My '06 S2R, with 4K miles on her, "clicks" in front at low speeds, and I think it's the Bearings. Heard on other boards that Ducati is frequently skimpy on Head Bearing, as well as Wheel Bearing Grease at the Factory.

Would this be an Under Warranty Repair?

LJB 8)

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mother said:
Ducati uses sealed wheel bearings

can't skip on the grease

Hoookay...What about the Head bearings?

LJB 8)

·
Banned
897 Posts
Regardless of what they use for bearings, I don't see how bad bearings on a new bike could not be a warranty issue. Bring it to the dealer.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Otay. That's what I thought. Thanks, Boys.

LJB 8)

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Have them put in the Speedymoto or Cycle Cat bearings while they're in there. Even if you have to buy the bearings they're cheap and steering with better bearings can be noticeably different even with a new:new comparison.

·
Registered
125 Posts
+1 the speedymoto bearings. just replaced my stock bearings. had alot of chatter in the front when braking and entering turns with bumps. not the brakes, as i originally thought. the bearings that came out of the head tube were basically junk. ball bearings in a cage, the lowers had no grease at all left and the uppers would still move but also were "dry". the factory manual states to tighten the bearings during maintenance. after 12k i asked the dealer to check them because of a feeling when stopping the bike to park and backing up when applying the brakes. the tech rode the bike after installing tires and blessed it, said he didnt feel anything abnormal and the steering felt tight. well at 30k this had gotten pretty bad. the manual also states the bearings arent servicable, if removed to replace. the tapered rollers are a much better solution and they are servicable.

if mech inclined you can install yourself. the hardest part is supporting the bike with forks off and not use a front stand. next on the difficult list is the "cup" on the bottom of the steering stem. you need to remove it and not damage to stem iself, and it is stuck on there good!

after setting the torque, now the factory specs are worthless, the steering is seamless and no more chatter over bumps or braking or when hard on the brakes entering a turn. i used marine grade grease and will start pulling them during 12k services.

as far as warranty, if they call it an adjustment they may charge you for it. if they disassemble the bike and find a problem then, yes a warranty claim. my .02

1 - 9 of 9 Posts