Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Premium Member
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is anyone making these? I like the look of the open clutch cover but I don't like the sound. I don't think I would ever get used to the sound too. The various part sites that I've looked at don't seem to have any. Anyone have info on this for me?

Also, I saw a Duc parked in Stillwater today. I was there around 5pm. It wasn't a Monster, I think it was either a Multistrada, or a Sporttouring.

·
Premium Member
143 Posts
Keeping a clear clutch cover clean would be a daunting task.
The only time you here it is when the engine is idleing in neutral

Besides you'll come to love the sound of that dry clutch rattle, a Ducati trade mark. [thumbsup]

Cheers,
Glen

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Rocker_44 said:
Keeping a clear clutch cover clean would be a daunting task.
The only time you here it is when the engine is idleing in neutral

Besides you'll come to love the sound of that dry clutch rattle, a Ducati trade mark. [thumbsup]

Cheers,
Glen
+1 cleaning would be a pain. I love the sound of a vented cover. I especially like the questions from people..."what's that noise?" [laugh]

·
Registered
289 Posts
I have a vented window clutch cover from Rizoma coming. I realize it is not going to mute the clutch noise, but it sure looks hot. I am also another peep that doesn't totally like the clutch noise, I prefer the exhaust noise much more. But the look of the dry clutch is so damn hot, I can live with the noise. I bought this clutch cover and many other things from one of our sponsors, PJ Parts. The guy is awesome with service and his prices are incredible.

By the way, fasterblkduc, I should have my stock reservoirs for you the end of the week if you still want them. I have the clutch reservoir off, but the brake reservoir has to wait until this weekend.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
[thumbsup] Not a hurry. It's going on the racebike which won't be running until next year. :(
Those clear covers do look cool. And I have a feeling the clutch noise will grow on you. As Glen said, you only hear it at idle or if you're rolling and pull the clutch in.

·
Registered
187 Posts
MarkJJ...you will get used to the clutch sound. Its fun too when poeple riding next to you start looking at their bike wondering if something is wrong 'cause they keep hearing some strange clicking sound [thumbsup].

As it was said before, you only hear it at idle or when you engage the clutch. You won't hear it while running....so just get one :).

Westy

·
Registered
289 Posts
fasterblkduc said:
[thumbsup] Not a hurry. It's going on the racebike which won't be running until next year. :(
Those clear covers do look cool. And I have a feeling the clutch noise will grow on you. As Glen said, you only hear it at idle or if you're rolling and pull the clutch in.
Got the new Rizoma reservoirs in, the stock ones are available whenever you want them. If we get a ride going this Sunday, I'll bring them along!

·
Premium Member
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That "vented window clutch cover from Rizoma" is the one I've been eyeing. I've been wondering if I could modify it by covering up the vents. When you all say keeping it clean would be a pain where do you mean? On the outside or inside of the cover? It shouldn't get dirty on the inside right? My clutch cover doesn't seem to get all that dirty on the outside so having a window on it wouldn't make a difference I wouldn't think.

But this mod is something I might do this spring. The only mod I'm going to do right away is coring my exhaust. I just won stock pipes on ebay for $51 (including shipping). When I get them I'm going to core them. That way if I screw up I don't have to get pipes cause the original ones I didn't touch. My money will soon be going towards the skiing season- which is such an expensive sport, so I can't go crazy with mods right now.

What are these resevoir mods some of you are speaking of? You mean those "cups" that hold oil for the clutch and brakes that are up on the handlebars? If so I'd like something different. I think those round clear resevoirs look bad. I prefer the black rectangle boxes that my 600Dark had. Certainly something even less noticable is being made right?

·
Registered
289 Posts
MarkJJ said:
That "vented window clutch cover from Rizoma" is the one I've been eyeing. I've been wondering if I could modify it by covering up the vents. When you all say keeping it clean would be a pain where do you mean? On the outside or inside of the cover? It shouldn't get dirty on the inside right? My clutch cover doesn't seem to get all that dirty on the outside so having a window on it wouldn't make a difference I wouldn't think.

But this mod is something I might do this spring. The only mod I'm going to do right away is coring my exhaust. I just won stock pipes on ebay for $51 (including shipping). When I get them I'm going to core them. That way if I screw up I don't have to get pipes cause the original ones I didn't touch. My money will soon be going towards the skiing season- which is such an expensive sport, so I can't go crazy with mods right now.

What are these resevoir mods some of you are speaking of? You mean those "cups" that hold oil for the clutch and brakes that are up on the handlebars? If so I'd like something different. I think those round clear resevoirs look bad. I prefer the black rectangle boxes that my 600Dark had. Certainly something even less noticable is being made right?
With regards to the dirt and grime in the clutch, that comes from the clutch housing I believe. A lot of clutch dust in there. Take off your cover and look inside, it is gross. So when others say you have to keep the window clean, that is what they are referring too. The rizoma vented ones above, since it is vented, will give you access to the inside to clean it. You wouldn't have to take it off. Plus, it being vented, it shouldn't get as dirty.

As for the reservoirs, I have the ugly plastic cylinders not the coffin style. I can post a pic of my bike tonight. I got gold anodized ones so they are by no means less noticeable. They are twice as noticeable now, but for me, I like the looks. You could get the SS or Black one if you don't want it to stick out too much, while at the same time losing the ugly stock ones.

·
Registered
616 Posts
I personnaly prefer the plastic reservoirs over the coffin ones.

Hailander, are ur gold anodized ones coffin style or reservoirs? M curious to see what gold anodized would look like since this is one of the mods i intend to do this winter.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Cyclopes said:
I personnaly prefer the plastic reservoirs over the coffin ones.

Hailander, are ur gold anodized ones coffin style or reservoirs? M curious to see what gold anodized would look like since this is one of the mods i intend to do this winter.
The Gold Reservoirs. It looks sexy...according to me.

Also, I have cored pipes on my bike so if you want to hear what it sounds like before you get started, stop by.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Here is a pic of the Gold Reservoirs - I also put in the Gold Decals on the Tank.

Attachments

·
Registered
616 Posts
[thumbsup] Oh yea, those do look sweet... Did u get them done localy? how much did it cost you?

·
Registered
289 Posts
I ordered them from PJparts.com, I believe he is a DML sponsor. He has some rock bottom prices on Rizoma gear. Awesome service too, its been a while since I've raved about customer service, but this guy is the best. I think the two of them were $128 shipped.

I put them on myself, they were easy. Bleeding the clutch and brakes afterward was a little tedious and time consuming but easy to do. If you do decide to do it, I learned a few tricks along the process to make things easier if I ever did it again, so shoot me an e-mail if you decide to go this route.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Well I want to get a few of my parts anodized, forks, levers, footpegs, etc... Do u or anyone else here know anyone locally taht can do that, and how much should i be spending on it?

·
Registered
289 Posts
I do not know. I've been buying all replacements.

·
Premium Member
720 Posts
I dunno about the anodizing. If they're small it might be easier (and cheaper?) to ship them out somewhere.

I'm just posting to add another + for Mike from PJ's Parts. Phenomenal service and great prices. I picked up my mirrors from him last year for the lowest price I've seen them for and got them in two days. Then I needed bar ends to put them on and he had those shipped before I could even pay for them.

Well worth it if you're looking for Rizoma parts.

-Mike

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
Cyclopes said:
Well I want to get a few of my parts anodized, forks, levers, footpegs, etc... Do u or anyone else here know anyone locally taht can do that, and how much should i be spending on it?
Fred (at Silverback Racing) has a guy who does anodizing. I'm having some of my stuff anodized this winter as well.

FYI -- your forks must be completely disassembled before they're anodized.

·
Registered
616 Posts
bluemoco said:
Fred (at Silverback Racing) has a guy who does anodizing. I'm having some of my stuff anodized this winter as well.

FYI -- your forks must be completely disassembled before they're anodized.
When u say completely, do u mean COMPLETELY? I have never taken forks apart before, does it involve a lot of work, or is it pretty straight forward???

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
Cyclopes said:
When u say completely, do u mean COMPLETELY? I have never taken forks apart before, does it involve a lot of work, or is it pretty straight forward???
Yes, I mean completely.

I've never done it myself, either. I'm sure it wouldn't be pretty if I tried... ::)

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.