Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What would be the best way to detail a frame and engine on my 96 M900 thats been left to get years of grime build up? I have removed most things that are easy to get off, but I don't want to go so far as to take suspension and engine out...I'll leave that for a winter project. I am concerned about electrical parts getting wet. I also have some yellowish stains from a leaky gas tank that have left a trail. I want to make it look as good as possible without complete disassembly.

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
I just tried a new product last weekend; Castrol Super Clean boidegradeable degreaser. It's in a pump bottle for easy application. I also bought a small nylon brush with a 9" handle.

I found that I could get into most nooks and crannies with the brush. The solvent was very effective and seemed innocuous. I didn't get all the burned oil from between the fins where I had an oil leak last year, but I don't expect perfect results on one application.

It was the first thing I've found that works on the wheels getting the chain oil off. It's great on all the rough cast parts like rear sets, brake calipers and disk carriers. My bike looks better now than when I bought it with 2200 miles on it!

Whenever you use anything like this, rinse thoroughly. You never know what it'll do if it stays in contact a long time. But the good thing is there's no high pressure involved to force water into your electrics and what not. It's a pump sprayer, a brush and a garden hose.

·
Premium Member
6,957 Posts
I've had pretty good luck with Turtlewax Bug and Tar Remover getting off gunk.
also can be wiped off and doesnt have to be rinsed.
give it a shot...if it doesnt get the goop off your engine, it's still handy to have around to take bugs off your headlight. ;D

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
I found the Super Clean to take stuff off that laughed at Simple Green!

·
Registered
294 Posts
S100 isnt to bad, next try is Simple Green and its cheaper!!

·
Registered
134 Posts
I just tried a new product last weekend; Castrol Super Clean boidegradeable degreaser.

NOOOOOOOOOooooooooooo, Please, please, please, stay away from that stuff!!!!! :eek: :eek: :eek: (In the purple bottle, right?)

It'll clean alright, but damn if it doesn't take the shine off that engine and all those clamps and bolts that had a nice shiny finish to them. I had a real bad experience with that stuff on my bike (but it worked great when washing the engine compartment on my diesel truck!)

·
Registered
346 Posts
soap, water, and elbow grease.

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
Hey, Don, who makes Super Clean?

I have used S100 and Simple Green, as well as, Dawn dishwashing liquid. Make sure you rinse the S100 and Simple Green off really well. That is where the Dawn comes in. I usually was things off with Dawn and a good water rinse after using the hard stuff.

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
Super Clean is made by Castrol.

Yes it's the stuff in the purple bottle.

I haven't noticed any dulling of "shiny stuff," but then I'm not a big fan of shiny stuff anyway. Don't have much of it on my bike.

Note that I've used it exactly ONCE, so I can't offer anything on long term effects.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts