Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the average price for chrome plating a pair of rims and and rear swingarm on an '03 800?

·
Registered
783 Posts
in houston, about 100.00 a wheel. i'm not sure about the swingarm.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
rims and swingarm are both aluminum. depending on what you prefer, consider polishing them instead. i haven't got first hand experience with chromed items as far as maintainence goes, but if you go over your bits with a soft rag, polished aluminum's easy to keep spiffy.

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thankd for the feedback.
Polishing vs chrome plating; pros vs cons. Anyone with experience?

R.

·
Registered
426 Posts
When something is chrome plated it HAS to be polished first. You can see what it looks like if you don't like it you get it chromed. Either way you will most likely ruin the swingarm. Any grinding and subsequent polishing on the welds will weaken the swingarm. The wheels being all one piece can be polished and chromed. Polished stuff requires more maintenance as it will get dull and can stain. Chrome is brighter more blueish but if it should chip and start to peal it will look like crap very soon.

·
Premium Member
243 Posts
www.swingarm.com

Might as well get a new swingarm. I am ordering one, polished and alloy = lighter and prettier!

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the swingarm website. I'm waiting fo r a response for price and additional info. What was your estimated price?
I am actually considering the chrome plating; it just looks more sharper! Did you seel the CBR 900 flick? That shyte was hot! That's some serious chrome!

·
Premium Member
243 Posts
Less than $800 shipped!
Don't forget, their swingarms are aluminum - much lighter than the stock steel one.

·
Premium Member
637 Posts
If possible, polishing the aluminum would be much better then chroming it from a durability stand point. Just because the swing arm is aluminum doesn't mean it will ever polish up and look like chrome (with out chemical cleaning and resurfacing the metal. Not all shop's can chrome aluminum either...

Also keep in mind polished aluminum will never match the mirror finish of nickle chrome. Trust me, I've tried... ::)

The chroming process doesn't require polishing of the metal. They strip the metal with a +400

·
Premium Member
3,677 Posts
When I did service, every chromed wheel I've seen had the chrome flaking where the tire seats the bead, causing air leaks. Plus, they looked ass when the chrome started flaking.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts