Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm at the point in my track riding that I really want to do a real school. I've done the novice school with http://www.trackxperience.com which was really amazing for not a lot of money. I've done a few open track days but I'm no track wiz by any stretch of the imagination. Since unfortunately I'm not independently wealthy. I'm going to need to plan ahead for this. I have 3 viable choices....

Jason Pridmore's STAR school
http://www.starmotorcycle.com/
This one is 275-360 depending on the track. I believe it is more track focused than his father's school.

Reg Pridmore's CLASS
http://www.classrides.com/
This one is 275-395 depending on the track and I've been told this is more street focused

Keith Code's California Superbike School
http://www.superbikeschool.com/
This one is more expensive 370-420 depending on the track or 620 if I want to do it on one of their Kawasakis. This is the one I've heard the most about, both good and bad. Some of it seem to be how well you deal with Scientology.

I've left out Freddie Spencer and Kevin Schwantz's schools because they are sadly out of the budget at the moment. If money, time and location weren't an issue I'd do Kevin Schwantz's school in an instant.

I'm looking for opinions on which to choose and why and any comparisons between the three.

Also, I'm not sure about riding my bike or their bikes. I'm not concerned about taking my 620 on the track, I've done it before so thats not the issue. Since I'm on the Monster I feel that I have to modify the positioning a bit both because of the bike and my own lack of flexibility. Also, the Monster has notoriously poor ground clearance, I've scraped both my pegs and the kickstand. Its also, to put it kindly, not the fastest bike in the paddock I've been passed as if I'm standing still down the front straight at Willow Springs all while i was WFO in top gear.

I'm going to have to decide if its worth the extra money to ride their bike and learn the "proper" way and then modify to my bike on my own or take my bike and work it out as I go under the guidance of the instructors. Pluses and minuses on both sides.

So any opinions?

·
Banned
7,484 Posts
If you've been to the track a couple of times, don't do CLASS. It's focused on street riding and they spend all day teaching you Pridmore's "tight lines." Which are *not* racing or track lines. It's good for a first-timer to the track, but after that, look elsewhere. If you're going to fork out the $, spend it on something more track-focused.

I haven't done STAR or Keith Code.

·
Premium Member
2,952 Posts
I did Code's Level I as my very first track experience and got a lot out of it. I have a background in ISD (Instructional System Development) and was impressed with the program. I followed up with over a year of hanging in the STT Novice classes to soak up a lot of similar instruction and coaching. (Until I got booted up)

And now I do some instructing and coaching for STT Southern Division.

I still want to do Code's Level II, because the visual aspect of track riding is more complex than most riders imagine. And Code has proven his ability to zero in on the not-so-obvious factors that make significant differences in riding performance.

·
Registered
4,745 Posts
i seriously think anyone who rides a motorcycle at any level should take Level 1 of CSS. if you intend to spend any time on a track, take more of it.

i have nothing but great things to say about CSS. but i've never been to any other school, either. i hear great things about the Schwantz school.

·
Premium Member
111 Posts
I highly recommend STAR. I'm going to for the third time next week in Pahrump. Great environment, excellent instructors and it's structured to learn how to really ride a bike. It is stress free and does not preach speed. It is for learning smoothness and proper technique. I 've also done track-experience and it was also a good school/track day. I recieved more one on one at the STAR school. You can never get enough schools. You always learn something new and continue to progress into a better rider. I would give SATR a try.

Good luck,

Lou

·
Registered
769 Posts
I've only done Keith Code/CSS (8 times) so have no other school to compare. I read about STAR and would try it - but not until I've mastered all that was taught to me at CSS. I believe in sticking to one system until I master it. I also understand the benefit of variety and new information but I'm not that experienced so I'm not ready for other instruction. Scientology is not part of the CSS instruction - in fact, it never came up in any classroom, 1:1 or on track coaching.

I know the classes are pricey but I think this way: If I make a mistake, how much is that going to cost me and would I care about the price difference at the different schools at that point.

BTW, ride their bike because it sounds like you're at a level where you're pushing your Monster to its limits and you've done trackdays and want to progress. Who knows, maybe a track bike is in your near future ;)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts