Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
go out to your monster.. choke it to about 1.5k rpms (or higher if you like) and turn the bars all the way to the right..

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well, i guess. im trying to figure out if my bike is the only one that does this. when i do what i explained above, the rpms raise about 3-400. Its nothing serious, but it seems like maybe my throttle cable is being tensioned badly. doesnt do it with the choke off, so its probably nothing terrible.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well, thats what i figured. so that isnt bad?

·
Banned
7,484 Posts
Your handlebars *should* be able to move lock to lock at full choke without surging. See where the cables are pulling and try to re-route.

Two suggestions for next time: (1) label your thread as clearly as possible, so that if you have a question, people will see the title and answer it; and (2) post in Tech for tech questions. [thumbsup]

·
Premium Member
169 Posts
Your choke cable (fast idle cable if it's fuel-injected, as I think it is) is mis-routed. Mine came like that from the previous owner. Check the routing at the handle bar.

I found it easiest to detach the cable completely at the throttle body end, re-route it, and then re-attach and adjust the play in it. (Make sure that the lever moves the fast idle mechanism through the full range of motion.)

The bonus was that (at least for me) it started more easily when I was done. (I'm still scratching my head at that one, though I never looked to see what range of motion I had pre-adjustment.)

--Jeff

·
Registered
89 Posts
Hi, I found mine doing the same thing, but when the bar was all the way to the left. I just loosened off the screw at the throttle assembly and retightened with the bar all the way left, no worries since. You may be able to do the same to avoid rerouting the cable.

Cheers

·
Premium Member
811 Posts
Mine does it. I actually use it as a 'throttle' when I turn out of my driveway. I think it's why the manual says don't ride with the cold start engaged (easier for ducati to say that than to fix the problem [laugh])

I'll try your remedy iameightbit, though I expect it will have some bad side effect or ducati would have done the same.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
it helped you start better? thats good because starting my bike is like resuscitating a terminal emphysema patient.

i love my bike but its never just started up first try. not once. and i bought it new!

·
Premium Member
542 Posts
CliveS2R said:
it helped you start better? thats good because starting my bike is like resuscitating a terminal emphysema patient.

i love my bike but its never just started up first try. not once. and i bought it new!
Mine was the same way when I got it. Harder than hell to get it started and then keep running while cold.

Once I got it started and idling on it's own without using the fast idle lever, it would die when I tried to take off. Frustrating as hell......as well as a little embarassing as this mostly happened in parking lots with people around. Looked like I didn't know how to ride the damn thing.

Took it to the dealer and the Ducati tech said that the idle was set too low - it was idling around 900 rpm. He adjusted the idle up to around 1150-1200 rpm. Haven't had a problem since. Starts right up. Idles great and no dying on take off.

BTW, my fast idle lever does the same thing when I turn the bars with it on. Don't worry about it.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
CliveS2R said:
go out to your monster.. choke it to about 1.5k rpms (or higher if you like) and turn the bars all the way to the right..
Yours is definitely not the only one. My '01 M750Dark (carb'd) does this as well, turned to the right. I use it to my advantage. No biggie.

·
Premium Member
811 Posts
CliveS2R said:

What are you saying? That even with the 'choke' engaged you have trouble starting it? This shouldn't happen at all and is probably a simple fix. Take the bike back to the dealer. I have an S2R and I have never, not once, had trouble starting it.

G

·
my s2r 800 always started on the first try,
even with one plugwire detached...(don't ask)

I'm not being a dick,
I'm just saying you may have a problem with a bike that's hard starting.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts