Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,930 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a problem. A problem that seems to be holding up my progress on finishing up the repair of the monster.

As I may have chronicled previously: I have upgraded my bars to CC Clipons & my master cylinders to Brembo Radials.

It has come to my attention only now upon installation of all these parts that the choke housing on my '99 M900 (caburated) mounts to the cluch master cylinder and with the radial "GP" m/c, it can't mount (no bolt holes).

What can I do? Are there aftermarket choke housings? (billet would really make me happy) - I searched and I couldn't find any related questions, anybody else have any ideas?

I've heard about older Monsters using a choke under the seat but know nothing about it - if this would work with my bike and is reliable that'd be nice.

I don't have the $700+ to upgrade to FCR's yet to get rid of the choke all together, so that's out at this time.

Please advise soon as I want to move this thing along!

·
Premium Member
2,326 Posts
can't help with your problem. But I'm curious how you got your radials to fit your CC bars. I had a set of billet Brembo GP's and needed a spacer to fit the masters. The bar mounts had an offset so I couldn't use spacers available from cycle cat, and I ended up selling the gp set. Did you fab your own spacer?

·
Premium Member
1,930 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wait, really? I just bolted them right on. I have the Brembo "GP" Radial Brake Master Cylinder 19x18 and the Brembo Billet "GP" Radial Clutch Master Cylinder 16x18. They went right around the CC bars no problem. These aren't the ones from a xx9 series bike. I am using Rizoma reservoirs at the clipon bar mount end and having custom brake/clutch line cables made and sent to me from Motowheels (Thanks Brad e al!)

The whole choke thing kinda blows and was unexpected (I didn't pay enough attention apparently in the dissassembly.)

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Same here, my Brembo radial's mounted right up to my CC bars

·
Premium Member
2,326 Posts
mine didn't fit the nipples ran into my cc bar mounts, hence needing a spacer. and the CC spacers wouldn't work with the billet brembos because of the offset mounts.

·
Registered
6,266 Posts
Hmmm Ive put both the Billet and the Cast Radials on a few Monsters with the CC Bars.

·
Premium Member
2,326 Posts
interesting... and you didn't need spacers at all? ducman, do you have them on your 620?

maybe I had an earlier version of them? this is nuts! :mad:

someone pm'd me this past June with the same clearance issues asking if I had mounted mine successfully (which I hadn't)

are there differences in the CC risers?? (not the length, but configuration?)

·
Registered
6,266 Posts
Industrial_Grrrl said:
interesting... and you didn't need spacers at all? ducman, do you have them on your 620?

maybe I had an earlier version of them? this is nuts! :mad:

someone pm'd me this past June with the same clearance issues asking if I had mounted mine successfully (which I hadn't)

are there differences in the CC risers?? (not the length, but configuration?)
The last bike I put them on was a 2002 S4 with the CC top triple and riser setup. It also had a radial brake and clutch setup. No grinding or anything to make them work. Just had to make new lines for the brake and clutch as the banjo is in a different place.

I have them on my Monster but I have Vortex clipons and had to modify them abit to get them where I wanted them.

·
Registered
760 Posts
ATO Memphis said:
So..... Does anybody know anything about monkeying with the Choke Control??? ???

Pretty please? (I'll owe you a beer)
I have 2 possible suggestions.

http://www.cyclepages.com/ProductDetails.aspx?ProductID=4059438 for a seperate mounted choke lever which could go anywhere. Thanks goes to LT for this suggestion

Or make a bracket that mounts to one of the h-bar clamps of the clutch and comes around to the original location.
personally I think this will be cleaner

Good luck [thumbsup]

·
Premium Member
1,930 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Any other thoughts on this or any images of a fabbed bracket?

I can't afford FCR's (yet) and I investigated my LT Snyder manual regarding the choke and couldn't find a thing unfortunately

Any new ideas?

My question on a new choke lever and bracket is how do you mount and run the cable so it all works properly? I'll certainly post my solution as I have had numerous PMs regarding the same issue.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts