Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think there's something wrong with my monster. It keeps on stalling on me... and its slow getting out of first gear. I was riding today and I had to keep reving the engine hard for it not to stall... Can anyone help? Has anyone had the same problem? I have a 2001 monster 600

T

·
0 Posts
Start by draining any old fuel that may be left over from last fall. Then change out the fouled sparkplugs and I suspect your problems will be no more.

·
Premium Member
436 Posts
Yep sounds like a fouled plug. Probably running on one cylinder. This happens to my wifes M750 often.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the adice guys...

Unfortunately I'm not very mechanically inclined yet...

Where can I find out how to do this myself?

Is this something I should probably have done by a professional?

·
Premium Member
38 Posts
Re: Choke Does Not Work

I was suffering the same problems until yesterday. I installed NGK DCPR8E ($3.49 each x 2 = $7 at the local auto store, they can order it and have it in a couple of hours. Installation time: 2 minutes) replacing the stock Champion RA6HC. http://www.spark-plugs.co.uk/pages/technical/championobly-z12.htm No more Champion spark plugs for me! This is basic stuff anyone can do, no professional needed. So easy, I could fall over myself. ;)

Remove the seat and open the tool compartment where you'll find your Ducati Factory Tool kit. Inside is a sparkplug wrench and a spinner attachment. On the bottom of the engine is one sparkplug so pull straight out (don't twist!) the sparkplug out by grabbing on the the thick part covering the plug, not the wire unless you want to buy new sparkplug wires. Unscrew the sparkplug and examine. Black=fouled. Remove & Replace (R&R) 1/2 turn from tight (lefty-loosey, righty-tighty). It's a V-Twin which "usually" means 1 spark plug per cylinder, so to get access to the one on top you'll have to unlatch the tank in the front and lift it up. Prop it up with the tank prop rod that is latched on the the left side of the frame and R&R the sparkplug just like other one.
Here's how to examine your sparkplugs: http://www.verrill.com/moto/sellingguide/sparkplugs/plugcolorchart.htm

Must read is Zen & the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance by Robert Pirsig if you are a serious motorcyclist. Are you an engineer? My POV is if you can't cook, then you don't know good food or can appreciate it because you don't know what effort or what goes into making it good. Same thing is with cars & bikes. Ever notice that the best racers were wrenched on their own stuff. How can you communicate to your team how to set up your machine if you don't know how it works. Next lesson: Changing the air filter.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts