Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought I had read before that chirping is normal for Ducs, but I wanted to verify. My bike chirps quite a bit, especially when I'm really opening her up. Any input?

Thanks,

-dj

·
Registered
8,800 Posts
Are you sure it's not quacking? ;D Sorry, I was powerless to resist...

Probably the result of the K&N - open airbox - FCR combination.
The sound of the air getting sucked in.

·
Premium Member
2,952 Posts
I've heard a loud chirp - almost a short screech - come from the airbox area 3 or 4 times when shifting into 5th or 6th at max acceleration. Scared hell out of me the first couple of times because I thought it might be an early warning of the engine getting ready to grenade.

Hasn't happened recently.

·
Premium Member
4,093 Posts
I heard that once or twice , but brushed it off as traffic noise!!??

·
Premium Member
342 Posts
With the FCR's the chirp you're hearing is the slides rattleing. The power pulses of the v-twin engine are spaced far enough apart that you can really make out the sound, inline fours don't give you that sound. They say that the "sweet spot" is to have the FCR's opened to the point that the sound is about to go away, best mixture or atomization or something. ;D

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, I can hear a bit of a rattle coming from the carbs and low rpm, like during idle. Gives the bike a nice 'quack' to go with the dry clutch rattle. I've gotten quite a few interested looks and remarks lately. I like it

G

·
*Edit: Whoooo! I have a full member now! So this is what puberty is like....*[/quote]

Mabey for you! I recall puberty alittle differently. ;)

·
Registered
6,266 Posts
Do you hear this when first starting off? I had the same thing happening on my 851, it turned out to be a bad bearing in the pressure plate. Just a thought

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I don't hear it when starting, but instead when the RPMs really start to climb. It disappears around 6-6500 rpm.

·
Registered
6,266 Posts
I ment from a stop, not first starting the bike, but as rpms climb from a stop. Sorry for not being too clear.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts