Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Chicken strips, (not food) anyone else got them? I'm such a whimp and I'm convinced the bike will low side. Any advice to overcome this fear?

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
Go to a track day and slowly work your way over on to the sides as YOU get comfortable. I still have a some left on the front, but the rear is virtually gone.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've got about 3/4 inch on the back and probably 1 inch on the front. That's as hard as I care to ride on the street or highway. Maybe one day I'll get to a track and take it down a bit further, but until then I'm fine with them.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Can someone please explain? Is it dropping a knee?

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
I've got about 3/4 inch on the back and probably 1 inch on the front.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yeah mine are pretty bad. There are some guys i know who give me utter hell every time they see my bike. One guy has buggers to the edge on his Speed Triple, he keeps telling me to slip some cheek off the seat on the twisties.

pretty noticable here.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Why worry about chicken strips or what people will think. Do people actually get the tape measure out to see how well they are doing?.......Good grief. If it really matters to you, go to a parking lot and do a couple hundred tight figure eights....then everyone will be impressed. If you don't care what people think, go out and RIDE! Have a BLAST! Bomb around the town and pick up some Chicks; they don't care about the SIZE of your chicken strips. Maybe the size of your wallet or your manhood.....but not the f*cking strips. Just my 2 cents.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Lee, Relax! If I reword it to say "How can I overcome the fear of leaning so that I may exploit the full handling of my fine Italian motorcylce". Would that make you less upset?

·
Registered
461 Posts
Oh no! Oh no! I have a half inch on the back and a quarter inch on the front! Everyone else has more on the front and less on the back! What am I doing wrong?!!

(Yes, I rushed out with a steel rule to see what this is all about. No, I haven't touched the pegs, cans, sidestand or other hard parts yet.)

-Don

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
A couple of thoughts on this..
Some people don't care about them.
Some people say that you should always have them as a saftey margin against the unexpected.
I've heard of some people so obsessed with them that the have a mechanic take a wire brush and carb cleaner and scrub them off.

I have zero on the front and an 1/8 to 1/4 in the rear. I not sure why the rear is so much more? My riding style? The 620 rear rim and 160 tire having a different width ratio as compared to a 900, which gives the tire a rounder profile? Not sure. I've had the can scrapping the ground with my wife on the back and there still there. I'll just work on getting faster and I figure it will work itself out.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I would suggest a track school.....and also there are some really good books
on riding technique....I personally find they go hand in hand.
Learning proper technique and gaining experience using proper riding technique is something we all benefit from.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
yeah mine are pretty bad. There are some guys i know who give me utter hell every time they see my bike. One guy has buggers to the edge on his Speed Triple, he keeps telling me to slip some cheek off the seat on the twisties.pretty noticable here.
Hanging off won't decrease the width of your chicken strips, its the opposite. If you enter the same curve at exactly the same speed, turning point, etc. and only change the amount you hang off you will lean less with increasing hang off. I hope that makes sense.

As far as chicken strips goes...who cares? Have fun, ride fast, find your apex and drop in quick and hard, and pray that you don't run out of tire before you run out of chicken strip.

Chicken Strips save lives.

-chris

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
This motorcycle of yours is capable of much more then most if not all of us an do.

·
Premium Member
4,093 Posts
If chicken strips saves lives, I guess my life is saved.

·
Premium Member
743 Posts
Chicken Strips: the best mod money can't buy... ;D

Go to a parking lot and do low speed doughnuts until they go away.

·
Premium Member
1,488 Posts
I've got about 1/4" chicken strips on my rears and none on the front. I also have a 170 width tire on a 4.5" rim and I've dragged my pipes, pegs, sidestand, etc. at various times and I can't get them off. I was able to take the chicken strips right to the edge on the stock 160 tire though, I figure it's the difference in profile of the tires on the same rim.

The way I started being able to ride at a bit quicker pace and lean just a bit more, was by watching people's lines and trying to take the turns "correctly", and not just by maximum lean. I also try to pay attention to whichever side I seem to be favoring (i.e. not leaning as much) by looking at my chicken strips after a ride and trying to work on leaning evenly on both sides. Little by little you'll feel more confident and just be able to take the turns more smoothly and quickly, have fun and don't stress.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thank you blosdshot, I appreciate your advice without chewing me out! Note for others about to ream me! I'M NOT CONCERNED ABOUT THE LOOK OF THE CHICKENSTRIPS. I'M CONCERNED ABOUT MY DRIVING SKILLS AND THAT I'VE BEEN STUCK ON MY CURRENT SKILL LEVEL. I'D LIKE TO TO CORNER FASTER!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts