Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know they're on the Triumph Thruxton (their best bike me thinks) but i'd quite like some sort of stripey thing happening on my monster... and was thinking the chequer strip looks pretty cool. would putting that on my tank and cowling make me a dick?

would it? really? what if i made it italian colours to match my agostini helmet? like the attached pics? too much? circus style?

any and all suggestions appreciated. [thumbsup]

Attachments

·
Registered
449 Posts
I'm all for custom mods and think it would be great [thumbsup] Hard to decide among those options, if it were me I'd need some photoshopping and crude cut outs on the bike to decide proportions and details.

And no *that* won't make you a dick :)

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
taxi styles! i've been toying around a bit more, and i think i like the simple balck/white check with a floating gold pin stripe either side of it. dunno, you're right though, it needs some actual testing before i make my mind up! i'm starting to think the green and red and white along with my ago helmet would be overkill. i'll have to try some out in life size! but on a red bike i reckon it'll look sweet!

·
Premium Member
417 Posts
Maybe #2 with narrower borders?

Spend a couple of bucks on ink and paper, tape up some images on the bike, then decide. I've seen some very nice stripes on Monsters.

I prefer plain paint, but no, it doesn't make you a dick.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
1 will look the best on a bike IMO . The white surrounding the colored checks will help define them and keep the looking dodgey once on the bike.

With the red next to the green you're dealing with contrasting colors, and in #3 they are touching. As a general visual design rule this should be avoided, save for accent areas that you wish to draw ones eye too. If you have it as a repeated item it's wearying to the eye, and not pleaseing. By using the white stripe to give you a buffer between teh red background and the green check, it gives teh check more definition and the contrast isn't so over done.

Done right, I think this could make a great looking monster - thus you're not a thingy. ;D

·
Registered
45 Posts
chequer1 is the best IMO and it would look awesome on a monster

kopfjager said:
Don't know who this bike belongs to, but this is an idea
can't stand the stripe on this monster - it looks like a nuts to me but rearsets look great, much cleaner than stock ones

·
Registered
178 Posts
Chequer #1 for me also.

I'm not a huge fan of symmetries though, and don't like the Taxi Monster. FWIW I'd put it off centre Ducati style.

·
Premium Member
430 Posts
If the base color is red, I'd go with white and green checkers to make it look italian.
Also, I noticed that Ducati Deals sell OEM tank/cowl/windscreen set with checker design already.

·
Premium Member
542 Posts
sjjkennedy said:
Chequer #1 for me also.

I'm not a huge fan of symmetries though, and don't like the Taxi Monster. FWIW I'd put it off centre Ducati style.
+1 on the off center

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thanks for the input everyone. i'm definitely thinking off center for the stripe, always looks better! i'm going to get my clip-ons on the bike before i get the decals done, but one problem i'm going to strike is that the bike (2002 620ie) has the rather bland silver 'ducati' in block letters on the side of the tank so there will be a clash with the gold in the stripe. maybe it's worth getting the whole tank repainted? but if i did that, i'd crack out the ol 2-lines 80s ducati font as i love that to bits. and then that with a stripe may look too busy?

damn, so many questions!

·
Registered
178 Posts
Just change your gold stripes to silver. [thumbsup]

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
i'd like a bit more gold accenting on the bike, has that classic sorta feel to it. Bigreddog cheers for the suggestion but i'm going to avoid the whole carbon fibre thing completely, you know where that gets you. you replace one piece, and that leads to another, and to another and so on until you have so much carbon fibre you're living on the streets.

i just want a few little tweaks at this stage. don't want to get into ripping the bike apart either! but stripes are always a good look i reckon.

should i go with decals only, or should i get them clearcoated? if they aren't coated i can always remove them or replace them, but they'll age worse without cover...

suggestions?

·
Registered
178 Posts
There was a thread recently where Ducpainter talked about the different decals stating which can be clearcoated and which can't. You should check it out first if you decide to coat or you might find yourself in a bit of a mess ;)

·
Registered
178 Posts
BigRedDog said:
True.

Hi, My name is Ken and I have a Carbon Fiber Problem...
[laugh] Hi my name is Scott, and I haven't bought anything/changed anything on my bike for oh, ummm, 12 hours... ::)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts