Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Banned
3,931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There was a custom Monster S4RS at the International Motorcycle Show in San Mateo today. I thought the pipe on it was pretty cool.

·
Premium Member
1,941 Posts
Plus it's a two-into-one system.

·
Banned
2,007 Posts
BMiller said:
I would assume not. Looks like it just combines into one can. Still, looks pretty killer [thumbsup]

DOH!!!
must get those specs ::)

·
Registered
454 Posts
I just read about this manufacturer in the motorcyclist magazine ducati sent to me showcasing their 1098. They had a $1500 budget to rework an m620 and make it more powerful and better handling. They went with this company because it was cheap, only roughly 550, and looked really nice. Im thinking of getting a set myself. Its called leo vince. www.leovince.com i believe.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
factorplayer said:
yeah it was in the Robb Report. that bike is a custom job for like 30k or something.
Read the article and you'll wonder how they managed to spend 30k. Mostly off-the-shelf bolt-on parts, and none of them that high-end - no Ohlins, and no radials (if I recall). They did mess with the rake, and lengtened the swing-arm. It would have never made it past the prelims in a Monster Contest.

As for the pipe, its a stock 2-1 Leo Vince. The header has this cool twist to it, kind of spaghettish; the article talks about the beuty of the twisting header as if the builder made it, when it actualy comes that way stock. Motowheels has it, as does Motostrano. List is around $600. Its available in Ti and carbon. Cool pipe.

·
Premium Member
1,834 Posts
it has tokico radials... iirc showa forks w/tokicos off a CBR. front fender, too... I was surprised they didn't stick w/ohlins and brembo

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
Read the article more closely and you'll realize where the money did go. Everything was rebuilt to race specs, it's not "off the shelf" stuff.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
NeufUnSix said:
Read the article more closely and you'll realize where the money did go. Everything was rebuilt to race specs, it's not "off the shelf" stuff.
Yeah, I just read it. Lots of Speedymoto stuff (tripple upper and lower - no clip-ons, pressure plate - not a slipper - and a clutch cover), some Sato rearsets, a Leo Vince exhaust system, Honda CBR 600 RR front-end and 1000 radials, a master cylinder off a VFR, and a set of PVM mag wheels. Custom one-off stuff included a lengthened swing-arm, custom tires "hand cut in Japan" (?), stuff needed to make the CBR front-end work, a wire diet, and lots of polishing and repainting ("16 coats of red lacquer") of the frame, engine, and tank. Oh, and some velocity stacks (no major internal engine work). Again, I wonder where $30,000 went; a stock S4Rs would smoke this bike. Of course, that price tag could include the cost of a stock S4R (it isn't an Rs), but I doubt it.

Its interesting that the article also states that the passenger handles were removed, although they are clearly visible in all photos, including this one. The article also states that the bike lost "60 lbs" of wires and the like, though the zipties are still present.

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
What, labour is worthless now?

I shaved 40lbs off crap off of my old SV with minor mods, 60 lbs with extensive work is completely feasible.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
NeufUnSix said:
What, labour is worthless now?

I shaved 40lbs off crap off of my old SV with minor mods, 60 lbs with extensive work is completely feasible.
No, labor isn't worthless, but to get to 30k that builder would have to be charging 300/hr.

Now here's a bike where I can see where all the money went, and I bet he didn't spend nearly 30k to do it:

http://www.ducatimonster.org/smf/index.php?topic=60437.0;topicseen

So as not to jack, yeah, those are hot pipes. I'm surprised more people don't run Vince exhausts.

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
Lukering said:
Its interesting that the article also states that the passenger handles were removed, although they are clearly visible in all photos, including this one. The article also states that the bike lost "60 lbs" of wires and the like, though the zipties are still present.
I was also confused by contradicting pics and text in that article, and overall unimpressed with the bike. ZG belt covers not commercially available, grab rails visible, candy red frame clashes with red on tank, absolutely ruined the swingarm (big, honkin' plate welded to it), no real performance mods, and the pipe although cool, appears to have the stock-diameter 40 mm midpipe.

Sorry, but in my humble opinion a waste of $30k. The "changeeveryfink" S4R blows this one out of the water -- performance-wise and appearance-wise.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.