Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
CEL when slowing or sitting

Hey gang. Mine's been going off on my 796 when I slow down. Based on this thread, here's what I've done/ noticed since the problem started. I still have the problem by the way -

1) Charcoal Canister removed several months ago- not an issue before or after - it's been disconnected several months now and this just started.

2) I do have the servo cable disconnected - the one to the exhaust, but it is still routed back there. I'll check and see if it's stuck (although it should be stuck open anyway?). There was some smoothing benefit to disconnecting. (This was also done months ago)

3) the one thing that has been different is I have noticed fuel residue at drain hose (no canister), and "sweating" on the bottom of my bag when I fill up. Haven't been filling into the neck really, maybe just barely a couple times, I always try to stay below.. Maybe this is the issue.. ?

·
Registered
467 Posts
2) I do have the servo cable disconnected - the one to the exhaust, but it is still routed back there. I'll check and see if it's stuck (although it should be stuck open anyway?). There was some smoothing benefit to disconnecting. (This was also done months ago)
When I disconnected my servo cable, it would throw a CEL when starting the bike. The servo will humm and rotate, like its trying to find a reference point and some resistance. Bike would ride just fine without the servo cable connected.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Continuing this thread with more relevant information.
On my Monster 1100 EVO with mods, I noticed that ONLY when the weather is below 45 degrees or so that I get CEL when under partial throttle cruising straight and flat (maybe 5-10% throttle). CEL goes away if I fully let off the throttle and coast down, or if I twist the throttle and accelerate.
Bike seems to run perfectly despite the light.

NO CEL ever if it's over 45 or 50 degrees.

MODS:
- MWR filter box mod
- CW GP slipon filter
- Exhaust flapper cable + servo motor completely removed
- Custom Bazzaz fuel mapping
- Stock ECU w/ O2 sensors removed + Bazazz O2 eliminators installed

Is it possible to recall CEL codes after the light has gone away? My light goes off as soon as I release the throttle. It never stays on to check the code after the bike has stopped moving.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Reviving this threat because my 2016 Monster 821 is experiencing the same issue. CEL, a warning triangle, and in settings, an "ENG" error message turn on intermittently. They usually stay on for the duration of a ride, including after temporary pull-overs to turn the ignition off and on again. While the CEL is on, the bike limits revving to about 3k RPM and speed to about 20 mph. Anything above those figures, and the bike is jumpy and can sputter and turn off. The same thing happened yesterday, but after the 15-minute ride ended, I waited a few hours, turned the ignition back on, and the bike did not show the CEL that evening or in the morning throughout my ride to work.

I wonder if this issue has anything to do with the cold - the CEL only turns on for my afternoon commute home. During work, I park it; daytime temps today and yesterday have been in the 40s. But at home, I park it in a garage, which may explain why the CEL didn't turn on after I let the bike sit in the garage for a few hours yesterday after getting home, and didn't turn on in this morning after the bike sat in the garage overnight. But that's correlation, not necessarily causation.

I also wonder if this has anything to do with me recently installing an SAE-USB Battery Tender to charge my phone at the front of the bike. I doubt it, but it's possible. This may also be an issue with an overfilled gas tank, as others have pointed out. Though I don't think I did that, I did fill my tank two days before the CEL came on for the first time.

Owner's Manual says ENG error could mean any number of ECU or sensor issues. What gives? Has anyone taken their bike to a tech to find a lasting solution?

EDIT:
So, the issue may not be related to the temperature. Today was a bit warmer, but the CEL still came on intermittently (was on when my morning commute started but turned off during the ride, stayed off during a quick mid-day ride, then turned back on by the end of that ride). I took the bike to the dealer for them to have a look. Will update you all when I get an answer from them.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Reviving this threat because my 2016 Monster 821 is experiencing the same issue. CEL, a warning triangle, and in settings, an "ENG" error message turn on intermittently. They usually stay on for the duration of a ride, including after temporary pull-overs to turn the ignition off and on again. While the CEL is on, the bike limits revving to about 3k RPM and speed to about 20 mph. Anything above those figures, and the bike is jumpy and can sputter and turn off. The same thing happened yesterday, but after the 15-minute ride ended, I waited a few hours, turned the ignition back on, and the bike did not show the CEL that evening or in the morning throughout my ride to work.

I wonder if this issue has anything to do with the cold - the CEL only turns on for my afternoon commute home. During work, I park it; daytime temps today and yesterday have been in the 40s. But at home, I park it in a garage, which may explain why the CEL didn't turn on after I let the bike sit in the garage for a few hours yesterday after getting home, and didn't turn on in this morning after the bike sat in the garage overnight. But that's correlation, not necessarily causation.

I also wonder if this has anything to do with me recently installing an SAE-USB Battery Tender to charge my phone at the front of the bike. I doubt it, but it's possible. This may also be an issue with an overfilled gas tank, as others have pointed out. Though I don't think I did that, I did fill my tank two days before the CEL came on for the first time.

Owner's Manual says ENG error could mean any number of ECU or sensor issues. What gives? Has anyone taken their bike to a tech to find a lasting solution?

EDIT:
So, the issue may not be related to the temperature. Today was a bit warmer, but the CEL still came on intermittently (was on when my morning commute started but turned off during the ride, stayed off during a quick mid-day ride, then turned back on by the end of that ride). I took the bike to the dealer for them to have a look. Will update you all when I get an answer from them.

So what happened??

·
Registered
15 Posts

EDIT:
Bob, what were you able to find out?

·
Registered
1 Posts
A Ducati 796 monster was passed down to me the instrument cluster doesn’t work because it’s cracked but the lights on it work and the check engine light came on. Is going to a dealer the only option I have?

·
Registered
59 Posts
What's your biggest concern? Getting a working cluster or the check engine light? I can't keep up with all of Ducati's different immobilizer setups, but I believe that one is contained in the dash only and not the ECU. However I'm not at all positive. Either way, that will be the biggest obstacle to overcome in replacing the dash unit. Can't see too much priority in the check engine light, when it's coming from a broken dashboard. It comes down to how much time and money you're wanting to put into it. In general though, I don't see taking it to a dealer being a worthwhile trip. There are plenty of other companies that provide reprogramming solutions for these types of issues in a much more helpful manner. However you would usually need to supply the replacement parts.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts