Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to check the cush drives on my bike.

Where and what are they? How do I check them.

Please be gentle.

Thanks

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
just pull the rear wheel and pull sprocket carrier from wheel. the rubber parts that go into the wheel are the cush drives. visuall inspection is all that's needed.
they reduce drive line shock.

·
Registered
413 Posts
I just got BST CF wheels on my bike . How often should one check the cush drives and what exactly does one look for, wear , looseness ????

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
as far as i know, there is no recommended interval. i look whenever the rear wheel is off. if they are bad, you will know by just looking at them.

·
Premium Member
5,076 Posts
What kind of cush drives does the BST wheel use? Are they similar to the Dymag type?

·
Premium Member
2,952 Posts
I'd say just check them whenever the back wheel comes off for something else, like tire changing or replacing sprockets. That's what I do.

If there are no symptoms of failure, like seeing movement between the sprocket/carrier and the wheel hub it can probably wait safely.

Note: If you pull the wheel yourself, make sure you see which way the cone-shaped spacer goes on the left side of the wheel (wide end toward the swing arm). If you put it in the wrong way, either the wheel will drag or the cone will get ground down and the wheel bearings could suffer.

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
I'm checking my cush drives because of this chart that I'm trying to follow:

http://www.ducatisuite.com/maintcharts.html

But, it seems like a lot of work if you have to pull the rear wheel.

What should I do. Check it or not?
i'm assuming this is your '03 bike? all i can tell you is my cush drives are fine and dandy at 17,000+ miles, 2.5 years old. i doubt they will go bad before you need a rear tire. the Ducati facory repair manual has no inspection interval. certainly, checking them wouln't hurt.

·
Registered
796 Posts
there is also a cush drive on your clutch hub, but it is pretty bomb proof.

G

·
What kind of cush drives does the BST wheel use? Are they similar to the Dymag type?
Norm...I had thought at one time you posted about the wheel reviews in a mag recently.....if it's the same one I saw, I thought there was some comments about their cush drives there, however they were all for GSXR's I think.....

·
Registered
849 Posts
Jarik,

You've had your bike for what, two months? It's brand new man, stop worrying and just ride the piss out of it. The harder the better.

I'm serious, too ;D

-R.

G

·
Hi Norm,

The BST wheels include urethane cush drives. They're pretty tough and have been holding up well with the Turbo Hayabusa drag bikes.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks Ryan. I needed that. I get obsessive sometimes.
Actually, the break in period (1500 Miles) is over since last weekend. Now I get to ride it harder.

·
Premium Member
5,076 Posts
hey moto - are those bushings the same size that Dymag uses? The reason I ask is because I've got raw tubing in 2 different densities that I cut my own from & it would be nice to know if they would also fit the BST.

G

·
hey moto - are those bushings the same size that Dymag uses? The reason I ask is because I've got raw tubing in 2 different densities that I cut my own from & it would be nice to know if they would also fit the BST.
I have not seen the Dymag cush drives. I can send you some pictures of the BST cush drives if you want.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts