Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How can i gain a bit of perfomance without spending much money?I have a monster 600 and i certainly could use a little more speed and acceleration!Any ideas?

·
Premium Member
2,952 Posts
Ditto. One the few things that you can do that helps performance AND driveability. And the most cost effective, too.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
I 4th the above comments. Going down 1 in the front and up 2 teeth in the rear sprocket is just about the best bang for the buck you can get. It cost me about 40 for the front, 50 for the rear, and 30 for labor to get mine, and whoo boy its an even leaner and meaner machine than before.

·
0 Posts
Genius...
Got the same bike as you. How many teeth on your rear?
Did you need to replace your chain?

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Genius...
Got the same bike as you. How many teeth on your rear?
Did you need to replace your chain?
it's two e's in geenius. get it right! jk i'm just messin.

I have a 14 in front, a 44 in the rear, and the chain is still stock (doesn't need a longer one).

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
but be warned. my dealer tried to talk me into buying a longer chain "just in case" it didn't fit. i think it may depend on the shop or the the mechanic and how he installs it that tells if you need another chain

·
0 Posts
Thanks Geeniusathome...I mean work ;D.
Thanks for the info. The 24;44; How many teeth did you go up/down compared to stock? The mechanic did try and sell me a new gold chain for the bike. I did think the gold would offset my Dark ride. Bu then again, neither does that gold spring under the seat.

Peace King.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Thanks Geeniusathome...I mean work ;D.
Thanks for the info. The 24;44; How many teeth did you go up/down compared to stock? The mechanic did try and sell me a new gold chain for the bike. I did think the gold would offset my Dark ride. Bu then again, neither does that gold spring under the seat.

Peace King.
not work, wurk!!! its more sarcastic that way ya know?

back to being serious, its down one in the front and up two in the back. Stock is 15/42, i have 14/44

·
0 Posts
I just ordered the aluminum 44 tooth rear sprocket. I was told that aluminum is lighter than the stock steel, but only lasts about 4,000 miles compared to 8,000 with the steel. We'll see what happens.

·
Registered
2 Posts
8) Hello,
I am a new guy here on this forum. I just wanted to let you know it is better to go up on the rear sprocket if you can, the chain won't have to make as tight a turn as it would if you bought a smaller front sprocket. The chain will last longer as a result. Good luck with it. I have a 1999 Monster 900 and just went up two on the rear sprocket. I am really enjoying the difference.
JOJO

·
Premium Member
1,488 Posts
Sprockets only last 8,000 miles? I have 9500 miles on my '03 M800, should I be getting a new sprocket already?? What about the chain? What's a normal life span there?

·
Registered
461 Posts
Don't do an aluminum sprocket.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Bloodshot,

My aluminum sprocket stripped between Valentine, Nebraska and Albuquerque, New Mexico. I'd adjusted the chain by the book in Valentine and lubed it. The last time I lubed it that day was in southern Colorado and the teeth looked good and the chain was adjusted right. But even if it was starting to look worn, there wouldn't have been a thing I could do about it then and there. By the time I hit Alburquerque the teeth were bumps. Good enough to cautiously make it to a bike dealer and eventually come up with a solution.

My advice stands. If you ride more than pushing distance from a bike shop... OK, if you ride more than a few hundred miles at a stretch and aren't always close to a stocking bike shop...then steel is better. It will let you down gently, degrade gracefully, rather than suffer the kind of catastrophic failure I saw.

It cost me $300 to get out of Alburquerque with a new chain and used OEM sprocket (shop labor, mostly).

-Don

1 - 17 of 17 Posts