Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, i am new to the ducati scene but not new to bikes at all. On my last bike i had a HyperPro steering damper that ran me about $400. i was looking for a cheap alternative and reluctantly ordered one from China on ebay. it was around $17 plus $30 shipping. i installed it today without even the use of a fork bracket. it works wonderfully. hopefully it doesnt ever lock up or anything. let me know what you think.

simlar one

Attachments

·
Registered
203 Posts
Here's to not finding out the hard way !

I have seen others do this. Seems like it would be ok as long as it doesnt lock up as you stated. That obviously would be worse than not having one!

·
Registered
12 Posts
I just recently bought that same one and also bought a fork clamp. It looks like I didn't need the clamp after all.

Did you drill the frame to mount the back connection?
Did you need a longer bolt on the fork mount to make that work?

I wanted to mount it below the lower triple, but I can't seem to get it to line up and reach the frame mount. I like your setup better anyway. It looks like that angle makes adjustments easier to do on the fly. Is it actually easier?

Cheers,

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ok heres what i did, i drilled a hole in the vertical frame post to mount the rear like you said. For the front i swapped a bolt and its little spacer from the top triple clamp with a bolt from the bottom triple clamp. i put the screw threw the front eye hole on the damper, then added the spacer, and i think i had to add another little washer too.

it works great and is very easy to change on the fly as you suspected. let me know if i can help more.

·
Premium Member
5,076 Posts
It'd be better if you could mount it in the same plane that the forks move. And, drilling holes in the frame should be done with caution.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I was able to figure out a way to mout it below the triple. I had to remove the plate below the triple clamp and then tweak the position of the fork mount.
What do you think of the clamp on the frame? It is very sturdy, but does it look gaudy? Do you think I should paint it?

·
Premium Member
5,076 Posts
That looks good. If you want the bracket to be less noticeable, paint it flat black.

·
Registered
73 Posts
It'd be better if you could mount it in the same plane that the forks move. And, drilling holes in the frame should be done with caution.
+1

and to the OP, not trying to be a dick but it looks ghetto as hell. And to be the most effective Norm is right, it needs to be dampening on the same plane the forks move on, ie. it needs to be closer to 90* degrees to the fork.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts