Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a pretty nice helmet for 45 bucks.. HIC flip up face helmet... anybody know if its going to save my girlfriends head? or should i be worried..

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
heh. are you saying its a peice of crap?

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
I meant if you want her in one piece for the rest of your lives together then buy her a real helmet. If you dont see a future with her then slap that puppy on her head.

·
Registered
55 Posts
If it is DOT certified then it is not complete crap ... just close. Considering that it was $45 and a flip-up (an over glorified 3/4 in my opinion) I would not put it on my girls head. The cheapest I will go for anyone's lid is about $150 but that is just me.

·
Registered
4,309 Posts
It is pretty arguable that there is any correlation between the price of a lid and the level of protection it offers.

A DOT flip up will offer a degree of protection, not as much as a full face, but more than a 3/4 or half.

If it fits, and she's comfortable in it, rock it.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Oh i didnt mention that it was 150 new. i bought it used off of some chick from craigslist. she tried to guilt me into paying more once i got to her house, but i just put on my cold/stupid face and got it for 45 bucks.

She bought it 2 years previous in advance of her getting a motorcycle and soon thereafter suffered a whiplash SO severe that she would never be able to ride a motorcycle.

So she only used it twice, and it shows. its gleaming black and in pristine condition. and yes, dot approved.

·
Premium Member
6,726 Posts
fwiw.... I have and had a cheap scorpion exo700.... I crashed last year with the bike landing on top of my back and head.. my cheapass helmet saved my bacon, so when I bought a new one.... I bought another exo700.

·
Premium Member
6,906 Posts
There was a huge moto safety study done in So. Cal. many years back by a Dr. Harry Hurt (no kidding, that was his name) and he concluded that pretty much *any* helmet dramatically increases your chance of surviving an accident by a huge margin over no lid. The differences between cheap and expensive helmets were relatively small. (And he was probably including the fiberglass beanie style in that analysis.)

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
Michael Moore said:
There was a huge moto safety study done in So. Cal. many years back by a Dr. Harry Hurt (no kidding, that was his name) and he concluded that pretty much *any* helmet dramatically increases your chance of surviving an accident by a huge margin over no lid. The differences between cheap and expensive helmets were relatively small. (And he was probably including the fiberglass beanie style in that analysis.)
+1

To correlate with this, Motorcyclist Magazine did a recent test of a variety of helmets from the major manufacturers. The best-performing helmet in the test was the Z1R ZRP-1. The lid sells for ~$85, and it outperformed helmets that cost 5x or 6x as much.

http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/gearbox/motorcycle_helmet_review/index.html

I bought one of these Z1R helmets last summer, and it's a nice helmet with decent features at a VERY attractive price. [thumbsup]

·
Premium Member
169 Posts
No FHE but a guy I work with bought a Scorpion recently and retired his other helmet (it was a Shoei or Arai but I can't recall which) in favor of the scorpion. Said that other than being a little heavy that he preferred it in every way the old lid.

In the last review I read they also thought the Scorpion was a great bargain for the price.

--Jeff

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
All that being said, cheaper flip-up face helmets have never faired favorably by safety standards. The above posts are all about full coverage helmets.

·
Registered
4,309 Posts
HyperM3 said:
All that being said, cheaper flip-up face helmets have never faired favorably by safety standards. The above posts are all about full coverage helmets.
cite your source.

I've heard of chin bar failures, but, it's going to be better than an open face, and my guess is that unless you do a high side + face plant + face slide, it's going to perform fine in most crashes.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Anything DOT rated will protect equally well as another helmet that is DOT rated regardless of how much you pay for it. Now some people will also argue you really need the SNELL rating to be safe. From what I've read DOT is mostly for slow speed crashes while SNELL is for higher speed crashes. One of them will favor harder foam for protection while the other favors softer foam. If you've got something that is rated both SNELL and DOT it should work equally well regardless of the price.

About the flip-face... I personally don't like them. Don't expect it to perform as well as a full face helmet. I've heard that the flip front chin-bars tend to break in an accident. Of course, helmets are only supposed to last 1 accident anyway so it doesn't matter a whole lot how the helmet survives the accident. On the other hand, if the chin bar breaks before you're done sliding, your girl may not be quite as pretty after the accident as before the accident. I've also heard that the flip front mechanism takes up a large portion of the area used for foam at the temples and in a severe impact it can actually be dangerous to the rider (hard plastic instead of foam... anyone can figure that out).

In the end, it's entirely up to you... and her. Have her read up a bit about helmets and let her decider herself. Oh yeah, also keep in mind that you shouldn't be using that helmet for longer than a couple years since normal helmet life is 4-5 years and it's already got 2 years on it.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
erkishhorde said:
Anything DOT rated will protect equally well as another helmet that is DOT rated regardless of how much you pay for it. Now some people will also argue you really need the SNELL rating to be safe. From what I've read DOT is mostly for slow speed crashes while SNELL is for higher speed crashes. One of them will favor harder foam for protection while the other favors softer foam. If you've got something that is rated both SNELL and DOT it should work equally well regardless of the speed of the crash.
No offense, but this is absolutely not true. Certain DOT approved helmets will do a much, much better job than other DOT approved helmets. The standard only sets a minimum bar and some argue that the testing methods are outdated and less than perfect. This was pointed out a few years ago when one of the moto mags took on the Snell organization over it's testing process and ratings. As part of that process, they did thorough testing of a variety of helmets and found that all helmets are certainly NOT created equal. Not even close. And the Snell rating system was exposed as a joke. I'm pretty sure all of this information is somewhere in the archives over on Soup (superbikeplanet.com).

Now, I won't begin to say there is necessarily a direct relationship between safety and price either. You can get a perfectly safe helmet for a reasonable price. What you get when you buy a top line helmet like an Arai, IMO, is a much better total package, including better fit, liner materials, ventilation, weight, and also styling if that matters to you. What I've also noticed is that the better helmets fit more closely everywhere and the last thing you want in an accident is a helmet that flops around on you. Motorcyclists like us are notoriously cheap ba$tards, and if there was no difference between the top and bottom in the helmet market, Arai, Suomy and Shoei would have been out of business a long time ago.

And the Hurt report done back in the 80s at USC that Michael references above did conclude that any helmet is better than none, as at the time period studied, helmets were not required. It didn't study different types of helmets. As an aside, if anyone hasn't read the Hurt report, it is a very interesting read for any motorcyclist, both in terms of what you can learn about accidents and apply to your own riding, and also in dealing with the idiots (relatives) we all run into from time to time who think motorcycling = death.

I say tape a copy of the Hurt Report and Twist of the Wrist I and II to every sportybike sold in America and you'd save countless lives.

·
Registered
124 Posts
psst.. you don't have to go to SBP to find the report. There was a lengthy debate about it here on the DML a while back.

G

·
CliveS2R said:
I just got a pretty nice helmet for 45 bucks.. HIC flip up face helmet... anybody know if its going to save my girlfriends head? or should i be worried..
Are you referring to the HJC full face helmet that has the full face flip up? I have one of those, and so does my girlfriend. I have the SY-MAX and she has the CL-MAX. Hum...

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
ducatiflyboy said:
Are you referring to the HJC full face helmet that has the full face flip up? I have one of those, and so does my girlfriend. I have the SY-MAX and she has the CL-MAX. Hum...
nope. its actually HCI (helmet city international) some company ive never heard of. its a flip open face helmet. cant find any reviews for it on the internet so i was just tryin to see if anyone had some input. it kinda exploded into a cockfight about saftey. which to me is funny.

G

·
Ha yeah. Actually after reading reviews on WBW I read that the hjc sy-max occasionally has a problem with the face shield coming open one or two notches on the retention system, but that it can be fixed easy by just removing the face shield and tightening the tension bars. What I'm wondering is how it would hold up were someone to come down on it face first since there's no sort of chin padding or anything. I guess it wouldn't be DOT approved (don't start any fights now, boys...) if it weren't safe enough, but I wonder HOW safe it is.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
ducatiflyboy said:
I guess it wouldn't be DOT approved (don't start any fights now, boys...) if it weren't safe enough...
Just like those DOT approved Firestone tires... ;D

Just remember folks, Thalydamide was once an FDA approved wonder drug...

1 - 20 of 53 Posts