Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone used the Chatterbox rider to rider intercom system ? My GF got me one half of one for Xmas and before I order the other half, I wanted to see if anyone had any experience with them ?

Thanks,
Dan

·
Registered
4,151 Posts
I tried the box w/the antenna and the little box for the passenger... works ok... you need to cut out wind noise by covering the opening at the bottom of your helmet though.

recommend using 2 intercom units though... they're wireless

·
Premium Member
436 Posts
I'd also like to know about peoples experiences with the bike to bike chatterboxes. I tried to go the cheap route once and use my Motorola's for bike to bike. I didn't have PTT and voice activated never work well.

·
Premium Member
6,957 Posts
We just got chatterbox x1's.

The voice activation works pretty well, although we end up having the sensitivity pretty high so it doesnt activate with wind noise. kinda makes you yell.
sometimes i use the PTT button on the unit instead.

the range is fine.

i wish they werent so expensive...but they are worth it to us.
I ordered them after we almost crashed into each other when i decided to turn suddenly. d'oh.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I was very unhappy with the rider to pillon wired function. I never tried the wireless but I would think it would work better.

There was no way to adjust the volume between the 2 units. One person had to scream or the other would get their ears blown out from the volume being up too loud.

Autocomm is the way to go....but major$$$$. Autocomm is good up to 150 mph. Due to the cost, I never bought the Autocomm unit.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Just wanted to share my $0.02. I've been using it for about 2 years. Bike to bike communication takes some time to get used to because you hear a lot of wind noise and static with your friend

·
Premium Member
126 Posts
A lot of bike to bike responses here, but I think your question was an "intercom" questions, so. . . I've been using a Chatterbox intercom system for a couple years, mostly on my BMW between the wife and myself. For a relatively inexpensive system it works very well and consists of a small box (put it in a pocket, clip it on a belt, or whatever) that the two headsets plug into. Because we wear full face helmets I purchased the headsets desighed for that application and they work fine. The wind noise isn't too severe and we can talk and hear fine, even at 70-80 MPH. The box is a rechargable unit (I bought an extra battery when I bought the system so I would have one) and a full charge will last ALL DAY. You can also plug a music source and/or a cell phone into the box if you desire. It's a simple buy very functional system. There are much more expensive units out there (Autocom for example), but the Chatterbox works fine for about a third of the money.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I am about the only one very unhappy with mine. One important point is mine is about 5 years old. They may have made improvements.

The thing I feel made it not work for me was the fit difference between my helmet and my wifes. The ears were tighter on mine so the speakers were pressed tighter, and the mike was closer to my mouth. My wifes helmet was the opposite. (hey I have a big head).

Since the volume could not be adjusted individually there was a problem. Has this been fixed?

G

·
I haven't checked out the Autocom system, but I have seen other riders with the Chatterbox transmitters strapped to their helmets.
Those things look HUGE! Almost the size of a cordless phone.
I think the idea is great... but I think I'll wait until technology catches up and they shrink the size a bit.

·
Registered
4,151 Posts
there's a company that uses military tech for their microphone (straps to the neck)... connect it to the chatterbox unit and it's better for highway riding. works even at high speeds apparently. was showcased at Laguna a few yrs ago.

·
Registered
541 Posts
??? how did you guys go with fitting the microphone in a full face helmet?
I find there is not enough room in my Arai Signet GTR - my lips tiuch the mike. It also looks Huge, and is flat - so does not fit well to the curve (chin bar).
Any suggestions?

·
Premium Member
342 Posts
My wife and I won't ride with the wired ones, we've each got a wireless unit. The bike to bike is great, especially when everyone is wearing them, you can tell someone about gravel, potholes, etc.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts