Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i haven't ridden my bike in two weeks and went to leave for work this morning and my bike wouldn't start. not sure if this could be the immobilizer or just a dead battery. when i turn the key the i can hear the fuel pump and a two of the display lights come on but the tach and speedo don't sweep and when i push the start button there is nothing, no clicking or anything. (the kill switch is on run). tried with the stand up and down cause of the bypass.
i tried the red key and still nothing.

i just figured my battery was drained. can you juice up the battery with a regular car charger or do you need a charger for motorcycles? or could it be something with the immobilizer? not sure what else it could be. i was running late for work and didn't have time to mess with it.
any help appreciated.

R

·
0 Posts
how old id your bike? maybe gear is engaged with kickstand down?? ;D

use battery tender dude!! you have to trouble shoot 1 by 1 before you get into a conclusion. Always start from the cheapest part first!! like fuse and then about $50 for battery tender, cheap and you need it in the future anyways!!

·
Registered
46 Posts
you need a low amperage charger, 5 amps for a fast charge,2 amps for a long charge.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I just got home from two weeks at work and my S4 only just turned over enough to fire up, it would only turn 1 or 2 rev's per attempt. I have a Datatool 3 alarm fitted which I was told is the problem, but that is only an unconfirmed opinion. Maybe the (8 month old yuasa) battery is stuffed, I've read lots here on the subject. The bike is hooked up to the 'oximiser' when I'm at home but I don't like leaving things plugged in when I'm away.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i know i need to get a charger anyways but which voltage for the battery tender? there is 12volt or 6 volt.
thanks for the help guys.

R

·
0 Posts
2002 model and never change the battery? i think it is time!!

My bikes need battery replacement almost every year.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
sorry bro. the bike was just fully serviced (yes they checked the battery) and i don't have the manual on me. as i said before i was running late this morning. just thought i might use this thing called a disscussion board to ask some questions. [smiley=waytogo.gif]

W

·
0 Posts
Jump start it using your cars battery. (CAR OFF). Go for a ride, get the battery charged and ride more often in the future.

·
Premium Member
5,076 Posts
Treat your motorcycle battery just like a smaller version of your car battery (which it is). I like one of those 3 way chargers (2-10-50?). Fast, long charges are hard on any battery, but when you just want to get going, 10 minutes on 50 amp will work wonders. I doubt if this is your problem though, unless you have a battery that is 4-5 years old, it should be able to start your bike even after several months of sitting.

·
Banned
3,931 Posts
2002 model and never change the battery? i think it is time!!

My bikes need battery replacement almost every year.
Well the battery in my 1997 Monster was still good after more than six years and would probably still be good today if one of the cells hadn't gotten a hole through it when I crashed.

You don't need to replace batteries every year or two of you take care of them.

R

·
0 Posts
Well the battery in my 1997 Monster was still good after more than six years and would probably still be good today if one of the cells hadn't gotten a hole through it when I crashed.

You don't need to replace batteries every year or two of you take care of them.
I said that applied to his situation that "without care"

·
Premium Member
5,076 Posts
Hey Rush, how 'bout we get together & beat both of those Scotts up?!?! Well, maybe not, if I tried to beat up everybody who was smarter than me, I'd be doing nothin' but fighting (& probably getting my ass kicked as well!).

R

·
0 Posts
I dont mind people make fun of me, I'll take it as a joke. But when "conversation" get to serious or simply "not a joke", come-on just give me a point.

I respect people as how they respect me, or vice versa. The fact of a matter is not depends on how old or how many "starts" do you have. You old forks should demonstrate any better for "newbie" and not suppressing speeches like dictators.

No matter is absolutely right or wrong, but he brough up others to prove he is right and that is "weak". If scott you have more to say? Try not to save him but correct me if a small battery can consistantly use for six years even with so call "care" be real and no offense, yeah?? ;)

Norm, I just... speak up for myself. I learn from Donald Trump... ;)

·
Registered
4,533 Posts
Older members,

Does he get 12,000 miles on a tire too?

mitt

·
Premium Member
613 Posts
I read that post a couple times and I still don't quite get it. ???

And as for batteries, some of my bikes will sit for a month and the battery will kick them over. But I do hit them with a small charger every once in a while.

My monster has always turned over slower than I would expect it to. It always sounds like the battery is dead, but it always starts. I've not heard other Duc's start to know if it's normal, but it's never left me high and dry yet. Although I haven' had it too long.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts