Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now that my Monster is officially 3 weeks old and past the first service, I'm looking at cleaning it up. Tail tidy kit and integrated tail light ordered, now I want to tackle the vapor canister and am a little lost on how to do it specifically on this bike. I've found tutorials on Youtube for just about every other Monster but the 1100 Evo, anyone have a link or can help me out? The closest dealer is 1.5 hours away, and I really want to learn to do this stuff myself. I can use tools and follow instructions, though I'm not the most mechanically inclined. I ordered the Air Deflector from Motowheels for the 1100, that'll cover the gaping hole left from removing the canister right? I saw plug kits from a company online but not for this specific bike.

Also, anything else I should remove? I keep seeing people talk about exhaust servo and 02 sensors...

·
Registered
198 Posts
I believe the canister removal on the 1100 would be the same for either a 696 or a 796. So if you see a tutorial for either one of those, it'll be the same thing on your bike. If you search this site, I believe there's quite a bit on how to do it on here.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply, I looked and didn't see anything specific to the 1100. I'll look for something for the 796.

·
Premium Member
461 Posts
Thanks for the reply, I looked and didn't see anything specific to the 1100. I'll look for something for the 796.
I took my canister off by looking at the spare parts list for the European Monsters and the American Monsters. The Europe Monsters have plugs and washers that replace the nipples on the intake manifolds. The American Monster fuel tank has two overflow / over pressure tubes on either side of the fuel tank opening. One tube vents under the bike and the other pipe goes to the canister. On the European Monster fuel tank both those pipes are joined together with a y fitting and vented under the bike. Get the part numbers from the European Monster spare parts list. You can even get the European Monster left air deflector if you want to have the stock black plastic. I have part numbers, but not in my head. Let me know if you need more assistance.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh man that's perfect! Thanks for the info. Parts numbers would be great if you had them readily available.

·
Registered
880 Posts
You can buy the European left side air deflector on one of the site sponsor's websites. Here is a link. I'm pretty sure I bought mine from them a couple years ago when I removed the charcoal canister on my bike.

http://motowheels.com/i-6921561-ducati-air-deflector-left-side-m696-m1100.html

Removing it is ridiculously easy, a set of metric allen wrenches (4-5mm) and a pair of pliers are all that is needed. I don't remember where I bought the plugs for the throttle bodies but I'm sure someone here could help you out with that.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
PM sent Skybarney, I'll take it!

Well I did my Monster tail chop today with integrated tail light and that went smoothly, if it's as easy as you say I think I can handle it! Yeah those throttle body plugs would come in handy, if anyone knows...

Pics of my tail tidy with integrated light. Pretty spiffy little kit (Atomic, monstertailchop.com). Cinch to install. I just didn't have the damn torx driver to remove the bolts from the old light assembly. Dammit. Bike was in pieces until I realized I needed that!

·
Premium Member
461 Posts
Oh man that's perfect! Thanks for the info. Parts numbers would be great if you had them readily available.
Hey you go:

screw: 773.5.061.8B; 2 each
gasket (washer): 852.5.023.1A; 2 each
Union-Y (y-fitting): 616.1.002.1A; 1 each
air deflector (left hand side): 484.1.069.1A; 1 each

I used low profile hose clamps to secure the hoses to the y-fitting and the rest was easy.

And nice tail chop and integrated light!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hey you go:

screw: 773.5.061.8B; 2 each
gasket (washer): 852.5.023.1A; 2 each
Union-Y (y-fitting): 616.1.002.1A; 1 each
air deflector (left hand side): 484.1.069.1A; 1 each

I used low profile hose clamps to secure the hoses to the y-fitting and the rest was easy.

And nice tail chop and integrated light!
Thank you for the part numbers, my local Ducati dealer actually had the EU air deflector in stock. I like the Y-fitting, worked very nicely. I ended up just plugging the hose leading to the intake manifolds, even though I bought the screws, tiny area in there.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts