Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to have a brighter and more white front light.
Just wondering if anyone has changed to a HID style light up front? What do you think?
What brands should I look at?
Also what is the part number for both the high and low beams -H?

Some where listed at 5200K is this going to melt the harness?
Which ones last the longest?
I think that's it ;D

·
Premium Member
279 Posts
Hey Q,
I dont think I'll be of any help here.
I switched to an HID front light last yr and never had a prob since.
It improved by 300% night visibility.
I wasnt able to find ( the tiny light under the big one) i dont know what light that is. I got'em off ebay dont remember the part #
good luck ;)

·
Premium Member
309 Posts
I changed out my bulb as well for a HID H4 bulb. I am very happy with it as well. Sorry I can't recall which one I bought either. I would reccomend going with a PIAA bulb. They are the best out there. I will be going with one of them when I replace my bulb again.

Good luck.

·
Registered
117 Posts
are you talking about the real HID with ballast or just an "HID look" bulb? Two VERY different things you know...

With real HID kit, the problem is that our bulb is for both high and low beams. Unless there's already a bi-xenon kit out there for H4 application, your true HID will only provide low beam and you will not have high beam. But even if bi-xenon kit exists, you still will not be able to flash your high beam when using low beam

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
are you talking about the real HID with ballast or just an "HID look" bulb? Two VERY different things you know...
Ya i know. i want the "HID look" by just changing the bulb.
So there is just one H4 bulb to replace?
Where is a good place to pick some up?
Thanks

M

·
0 Posts
Try the Sylvania SilverStar series. Not sure itf the make H4 though. Other sources could be Osram, PIAA, or Philips.

·
Registered
74 Posts
do any of these lights come in a yellow. i seem to remember a few years ago some yellow beams. but now i never see any.

·
Registered
195 Posts

With real HID kit, the problem is that our bulb is for both high and low beams. Unless there's already a bi-xenon kit out there for H4 application, your true HID will only provide low beam and you will not have high beam. But even if bi-xenon kit exists, you still will not be able to flash your high beam when using low beam
For reference, there is a bi-xenon kit for H4 applications; my BMW mechanic keeps trying to sell me kits for both the BMW and the Monster (very tempting). AFAICT you wouldn't lose the ability to flash, as the H4 bi-xenon setups have this trixie deal where the bulb itself moves from one position to the other.

One of these days when I'm feeling spendy I'll put HIDs in one or both bikes; they really do make a tremendous difference (I have them in both of my cars and can't hardly go without anymore).

M.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts