Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I have an 03 Monster 800 with a stock 40 tooth rear sprocket and I want to install a 42 tooth.

Has anyone installed a 42 tooth on a 03 M800?

If so, did you have to replace the chain?

I suspect all 03 Monsters probably come with the same type of configuration (chain length and sprocket size) and I'm looking for someone else's experience before I get started.

The FAQ says you may need to replace the chain to fit the bigger sprocket, but I only 3k miles and I don't want to replace the chain unless I'm forced to do so.

Is this going to be one of those deals where I won't know until I install the new sprocket? [smiley=worried.gif]

Thanks in advance!

Regards,
AC

·
Registered
600 Posts
If your rear wheel hub still has room to move forward, there's a good chance you can keep the chain. I was not quite lucky. Went from 39 to 41 and had to get a new chain.

There was a discussion in the past that pointed out that ideally you would want to replace both sprockets and the chain at the same time. Otherwise the older component will accelerate the wear on the newer component.

G

·
Same here. Went from 39 to 41, needed to lengthen the chain.

At 3000 miles, I wouldn't worry about changing the chain. You may have accelerated wear of the new sprocket, but unless you're trying to squeak out every last mile of life from the chain and sprocket, I wouldn't give it a thought. Most change them FAR before failure.

G

·
Are you sure that your stock sprocket is a 40?
My owners manual and a few websites that I have been to are telling be that the M800 comes with a 15T in the front and a 42T in the back. I have never actually counted the teeth, but you should double check your bike before ordering.

I have the same exact bike, and instead of going larger in the back, I went down to a 14T AFAM in the front. Very happy with the results. It's easier to install, cheaper, and you won't have to buy a new chain, just tighten it a bit after the installation. Got mine from Chris at ca-cycleworks.

Good luck.

·
Premium Member
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Are you sure that your stock sprocket is a 40?
My owners manual and a few websites that I have been to are telling be that the M800 comes with a 15T in the front and a 42T in the back. I have never actually counted the teeth, but you should double check your bike before ordering.

I have the same exact bike, and instead of going larger in the back, I went down to a 14T AFAM in the front. Very happy with the results. It's easier to install, cheaper, and you won't have to buy a new chain, just tighten it a bit after the installation. Got mine from Chris at ca-cycleworks.

Good luck.
Hmmm... You know, I think you're right! ;D It's been a while since I looked and now that I think about it and it seems I remember it saying 42 on the sprocket.

I'll double check and if it is a 42 I'm gonna take your advice and replace the front. I'd like to save some money and that's another reason I didn't want to replace the chain.

Muchas gracias!

Regards,
AC

·
Premium Member
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You shouldn't have to.

Hey Anthony, I don't know if you realize but Afam is about 2 minutes from your house. If you walk in with cash they always give me a good deal on sprockets and chains.
Hey Scott,

I remember you telling me about AFAM some time back, so that's where I'm going.

I called them yesterday and they said they would sell me a 40-tooth steel for $50 cash. That seems like a great deal.

Thanks for the reminder!

Regards,
AC

·
Premium Member
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey zeus,

I confirmed I do have a 42 rear and 15 front.
I also checked the spacing on the rear adjusters and I'm confident I would have to replace the chain. Without taking off the wheel it appears the wheel is all the way forward (or almost all the way). I can

G

·
I had to change the chain when the rear sprocket went on. I actually gained some slack with the smaller front, but couldn't make up the difference with the back. ARG!!!

G

·
Anthony:
Glad you got it figured out. I think you'll really like the 14 in the front. Makes quite a difference. As I mentioned installation should only take a few minutes.

When you're ready to install, I used Strati's website as a reference www.ducatipipemod.com
He has a "how to" page on swapping the front sprocket - even has pictures to help you along the way.

Enjoy!

·
Premium Member
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Update!

I went to a 14 front and it feels much smoother at lower RPMS. I notice I'm going through the gears much more now. Now, if I could just get that intak popping to stop I'd be set.

Thanks all!

Regards,
AC

·
Banned
3,931 Posts
When I went from a 39 to a 41-tooth rear on my M900 at about 1000 miles, I didn't need a new chain. You can figure that the rear axle needs to move forward by the distance of one link (the pin distance) for each four teeth that you add to the rear sprocket. Adding two teeth is half of that distance. It's easy enough to measure whether you'll have enough room or not.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts