Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anybody know a good way to change grips on the throttle side without compressed air? Please include ideas on removing the old one and replacing it with a new one. Thanks...

·
Registered
117 Posts
put some WD-40 between the rubber grip and plastic base to remove. Then wipe it off.

Use water for installing a new one. Once water dries up the grop will be securely seated

·
Premium Member
1,928 Posts
Yes, Aquanet is the perfect medium for putting on grips. The cheap brands of foaming mousse (no conditioners or anything) work well, too. Hair gel, or as far as I can tell any hair prodict that does not come out of an aerosol can, does not work well, because it never seems to dry.

I always just cut used grips off with a utility knife, because they never seem to stick to the bar well after they've been used for a while.

--Fillmore

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
Does anyone have any good recomendations on grips. I'm putting some new clip-ons soon and am going ot get new grips. The ones I have now seem to be uncomfortable as hell, and offer no padding when I rest my FULL BODY WEIGHT ON MY HANDS WHILE RIDING! joking. BUt seriously the seem about as hard as the aluminum bar underneath.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Any Pro-Grip dual compound & hair spray to install

G

·
A long #1 sized flat screwdriver, (like a carb adjusting driver) and some Windex works well. When the Windex dries, the inside of the grip is pretty tacky.

·
Premium Member
540 Posts
Depending on where you live (and how cold your winter is) I am a new convert to heated grips. Soft, yes I am, but it's better than being hard and COLD! Of course I prefer thin grips so happy hunting for a set of heated grips that are thin. I notice Ducati Performance have some now but I've heard they are expensive.

G

·
I use the Pro Grip 717. For installing grips buy a can of Yamaha or Lubritech tire mounting lube. It's designed to make rubber (tire) slippery, then glue it to the rim. It works the same with grips. $5 or so gets you a lifetime supply.

·
Premium Member
126 Posts
Cut the old ones off. I've used a small amount of dish soap for years to slide new grips on and hold them in place. When dish soap dries it's very sticky and I've never had a problem with slipping grips. In addiiton, when you want to change grips the "adhesive" is water soluable and a little H2O between the grip and bar will allow you to slip them right off. Just one of many ways of doing it I suppose, but it's worked for me.

·
Premium Member
451 Posts
sometimes heating them up with a blow dryer will help in removal and installation. I have had great luck with dish soap on my mountain bike as well....

·
Registered
269 Posts
I was looking at how my throttle side grip was put on and it appears to be shaped and tabbed to index on the throttle barrel which has some raised rings and grooves on it. In english, I don't think the left and right grips are the same on my bike. Do I have my head up my a$$ or has anybody else noticed this?

G

·
Cut the old ones off. I've used a small amount of dish soap for years to slide new grips on and hold them in place. When dish soap dries it's very sticky and I've never had a problem with slipping grips. In addiiton, when you want to change grips the "adhesive" is water soluable and a little H2O between the grip and bar will allow you to slip them right off. Just one of many ways of doing it I suppose, but it's worked for me.
what happens when it rains? :eek:

I use windex. evaporates nice and quick.

·
Registered
1 Posts

Does this technique work? using zip ties? looks simple enough....even though the guy in the video cuts both sides short. I have stock grips on a 2011 bike and they are solid - no give and would like to try to change the grips.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts