Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I need some help. I got some duel density Pro-Grips today and wanted to pop them on. I removed the throttle side first and noticed the plastic cylinder has a conical ridge closest to the inside and a smaller ridge at the end. The stock grips are specifically molded for those areas. The Pro-Grips aren

·
Premium Member
3,677 Posts
i just fit aftermarket grips and leave the gap exposed. but my lack of "taste" deferring to function is not compatible with others higher levels of styling sensitivity.

compressed air and metal blow tip make short work of grip R&R.

;D chris

R

·
0 Posts
I just put them on, they look finer than gucci sunglasses
on Sofia Vergara.....

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanx for the input

·
Premium Member
1,488 Posts
Which ProGrips do you have? I've installed both the ProGrip Gel Touring Grips and the Duel Color Gel Grips without a problem. I don't have any gaps at all, though I did cut a whole in the end of the grips to fit my bar-end sliders. Maybe that's the 1/4" gap you mean, i dunno...

·
Registered
287 Posts
I am concidering getting different grips, mainly for looks, but how much different do they feel? I imagine they are better, but is it a little bit better, or noticably better? Do you lose any feel for the throttle? Maybe I need these sooner than I think...

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have the Pro-Grip 716 dual density. They are nice; I ride a mountain bike and have been using dual densities for a long time. W/ the stock grips, my hands went numb quickly, I can now ride longer w/ out my gloves and have better feeling in my hands. They will still get numb, but the difference is, I can go longer now. Grab a par at a shop and feel the difference. Honestly, the stock grips are thin, very thin. Now the problem w/ my bike is the Domino throttle sleeve is fitted to the stock grip, pull yours back and you will see what I mean. You can get a generic grip on, but it won

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
I can now ride longer w/ out my gloves
Bud
That's real clever! What do the Pro Grips do for your hands when you hit the pavement?

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Wow, how about this thought

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
Well you know, maybe you've made up your mind and nothing we say will have any influence.

But there's a culture in any group and, in general, this group's culture supports riding with thorough protection. Many of us (me included) take shortcuts at times, but we know that we shouldn't.

Another cultural element of this board is good natured abuse. It's helpful if you're not too sensitive. ;D
I've got a 900SS-riding buddy that I abuse every time we ride together because he's still wearing jeans. He got boots last week so I'll have to lay off him on that. Note: he's still my buddy.

Finally, people other than you read this thread; possibly some real newbies who are still forming their ideas of what's "prudent" or "appropriate" riding gear. For my part, I chose to make the observation that the gloveless riding suggested by your post carries substantial (and unnecessary) risk.

Welcome to the DML ;)

·
Premium Member
1,488 Posts
I'm with Bud on this one. I find the holier-than-though attitude some on here have about protective gear quite grating. I don't think anyone is trying to advocate to people that they shouldn't wear the right gear, just that there are personal choices and circumstances. Sometimes it's just too nice of a day to wear a full helmet and/or gloves. Personally I think they enjoyment I get out of riding with just a t-shirt and a cap helmet a few times a year (I am in CA, so the helmet is a requirement) far outweighs the potential damage in a crash. Others aren't willing to take that risk, which is great for them. But that doesn't mean the rest of us want or need a lecture about it.

-Jordan

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
This is getting interesting now.

We've had some name-calling: bleeding-heart, and holier-than-thou have come from the "freedom to bleed" crowd.

The "take reasonable precautions while participating in an inherently risky sport" group has been somewhat more restrained. Well, other than SS commenting that his group had BRAINS did tend to imply that those advocating for the other side DON'T.

In any case, it has remained civilized enough to get me thinking more instead of just getting p!ssed off.

I made a statement that this board's culture advocated protective gear. In spite of that, I had wondered recently to what extent that's really true. That theme has certainly come up a lot and discussion has largely highlighted the costs (to board members and others we've seen) of failing to use good (or any) gear. But I've been wondering about the possibility that there's a sizeable "silent" group that doesn't agree, like Bloodshot, that it's stupid to ride without gear. There are others, like Deb, who have stated that they agree, but do it anyway out of peer pressure or laziness.

So anyway, I went back to the old gear survey (200 respondents) to see what the group said. I was a little surprised.

95% wear helmets (mandatory in most states)
89% wear riding jackets (but they're "cool" aren't they)
40% wear gloves - well, that's not MOST of us, is it?
25% wear boots - survey doesn't distinguish "riding boots"
15% always wear riding pants.

So we're not as diligent about protection as the vocal minority would suggest.

I appreciate the comment that you get tired of the "holier than thou" tone. I was at a c o c k tail party recently when some guy I just met felt compelled to opine that riding a motorcycle is "incredibly dangerous and stupid." I was vaguely annoyed for the rest of the night. The only appropriate respone for somethin like that is a quick "fock off!"

Having said all that, I'm also going to note that my first reply was not "preachy." It was a short quip intended to make a point without preaching. I'm also likely to make similar comments in the future. I won't debate the merits or statistics. We all know them even if we choose ignore them. I demonstrate my conviction by example (in person) and by being a smart @ss on the board. [smiley=evil.gif]

·
Premium Member
462 Posts
OK, so I call people riding w/o helmets "organ donors".. Don't get offended...

Your choice to ride w/o a helmet costs me money, when you have that accident and instead of a quick trip to the ER (if you were lucky), you have an extended stay, everyone pays more money for insurance cause your's had to pay and the outragious premiums they charge still don't cover the bills..

So yes, it's your choice, but it effects all..

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
i've heard people speculate wearing hemets actaully costs us money because they do save lives and medical bills are more expensive than funerals. the other nite someone told me research was recently done that proves this to be true.

needless to say, i'm not recommending riding without a lid.

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
OK, fine.

I can imagine that argument to be true. But given that most of us are required to wear helmets, I'd appreciate it if those of you that do, would also wear armored jackets, pants, boots, gloves and perhaps even back protectors. 'Cause if the helmet saves your life, I don't want my insurance to go up when they then have to treat all the abrasions and breaks. ;D

·
Registered
153 Posts
I harass a few friends who ride w/o gear everytime I see them... If I didnt care about 'em, I wouldnt care what they wore. I think the "preachers" hearts were in the right place.

As for gloves... always! After crashing my bicycle at about 25mph w/o gloves, my hands looked like hamburger for weeks, I have no interest in reliving that agony thanks.

Later.

Jeff

·
Premium Member
1,679 Posts
>>I've heard people speculate wearing helmets actually costs us money because they do save lives and medical bills are more expensive than funerals. the other night someone told me research was recently done that proves this to be true. <<

When I was younger, and it was legal to ride in CA without a helmet, my usual joke when someone would give me a bad time for not wearing a helmet was "The only difference between wearing a helmet and not wearing a helmet, is an open casket or a closed casket."

I know better now.

Even though my helmet was fractured from my recent get-off, I really don't think I would have died without it. But, as but the helmet was also scraped up pretty good...from ear-to-ear...on-the-front...it would probably be more a question of nose no nose, teeth no teeth, chin no chin, mirror no mirror, girlfriend no girlfriend...

>>After crashing my bicycle at about 25mph w/o gloves, my hands looked like hamburger for weeks, I have no interest in reliving that agony thanks. <<

A number of years ago on my road bicycle, I hit the opening door of a BMW sedan. I was doing about 25 with a drafter. I had no helmet, and no shirt. After the BMW's insurance adjuster had me list all my expenses, she wanted to know what the waxpaper was for...

It's what I slept on for three weeks.

I honestly don't think too much about the squids or crusiers riding around half-naked...but what about their passenger???

1 - 20 of 20 Posts