Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a set of Champion plugs for my 900 Monster from Auto Zone, I noticed that they are a little different that the ones I purchased from my dealer which came in a Ducati package. The Auto Zone plugs were only $1.60 vs $5.99. The electrode is smaller in dia. and longer on the plug from AutoZone. Has anyone used Champion plugs from another source other than Ducati and seen this difference and will it be a problem... both plugs have the exact same designation.

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
i think you would find most people replace with NGK. i'm dumbfouded that the plugs have different electrodes and carry the same designation. i don't doubt your word, just confused. i would definately be concerned that there is a difference.

D

·
0 Posts
there is also a difference in euro vs. u.s. fuel and fuel injection mapping. best bet is to just replace with ngk cr8ea9. not as pricey as ducati champ plugs, and work 10x better.

·
Premium Member
128 Posts
I have run the champions, purchased in at my local auto parts store, in my M944 since I got the bike 4 yrs. ago. Beside difficult to start when cold, which is due to the keihin carbs with no choke, the bike has run fine. The plugs look like the correct heat range when I check them.

·
Premium Member
2,952 Posts
Champion appears to have plugs with two different designations that are "correct" for our bikes. Without looking it up again, I think the diff in labeling is one has a four digit part number and the other has just two of those digits for the number.

I've swapped back and forth between the Champions and NGK and noticed no real difference. I've found the Champions at Walmart in the section with powersports & marine type plugs for pretty cheap - like just under $2. I think I've got NGKs in the bike now and one or two sets of Champions in the tool kit that goes to the track. Some bikes are really picky about the plugs that run well in them. Mine doesn't seem to care.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts