Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok - maybe i am crazy here, but is it normal to adjust your chain tension every 400 miles? i came back from a 250 mile ride yesterday and my chain is slapping the swing arm! i just adjusted it a week ago.

i live and ride in the NYC area and roads do suck, would hitting a bump knock it out? - the BQE and Belt are miserable at best (3" ridge across 3 lanes in the middle of a 55mph curve!) and i did hit a good one on friday on my way to see a friend's band play.

thanks!
steve

G

·
either you aren't tightening something up right or your chain is really worn out... I haven't had this problem on my Duc, but my blackbird before I changed the chain was lubed and adjusted every 100-200 miles. that was at about 13K on a '99 chain.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
errrr....so with over 15k miles, that could be a valid reason.... :p

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
heh - already have a 14t front ready to go. can i do the chain replacement myself or do i need a chain breaker?

·
Premium Member
3,677 Posts
diddling about with replacing the chain is best done with some tools. you can "Break" or "cut" a chain without special tools, but life is always best with the proper tools.

shade tree chain cutting is to grind head of chain rivet flat and hammer out with punch. more better method is to buy a chain breaking tool. the $30 one is crap. must be used with extreme caution not to break IT. the ~$100 one is fair to middlin and i only sell the $140 one. it seems to work the best. thankfully, the $140 tool can also act as a chain riveter, peening over the rivet links in RK and DiD chains. for regina, you need the "quad stake" rivet attachment, as the regina rivet links do not have a hollow end to the pins.

:) chris

·
Premium Member
2,952 Posts
Testimonial on Chris's chain tool:

It's worth it. I've used others. I love that one.

If you're not a tool junkie like me and can't justify buying one just for yourself, see if some riding buddies want to get into a tool pool for the 2 or 3 expensive but important tools like this that people can share the use and the cost.

·
Premium Member
1,928 Posts
Just make sure to grind the head off the chain rivet before using it. I let my brother use mine without giving him that warning and he broke the pin.

I now have a $140 paperweight.

--Fillmore

1 - 10 of 10 Posts