Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can't figure this out. When adjusting the tension of my chain, I first loosen the axle nuts, and then play with the tension bolts until I have the proper chain tension. Then I torque down the axle nuts to the proper spec. The chain is still at the proper tension. Now, when I tighten down the chain tension bolts, the chain tightens up! How is this possible when the axle bolts are tight and prevent the axle from moving? Even if I am over tightening the tension bolts, I don't see how the chain can tighten when the axle nuts are tight and prevent the wheel from moving back. Can anyone enlighten me? Thanks.

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
sounds like a pretty good mystery ???. it doesn't take much torque to snap the adjuster bolts, so i wonder if the wheel is relly tightening up. could the conical spacer on the right side be missing?

·
Premium Member
5,076 Posts
I shove an average size wrench between the chain & rear sprocket to keep the chain tight while I tighten the axle.

·
Registered
8,800 Posts
The Duc Service manual for my S4 calls out 6 ft-lb as the torque on the chain adjuster bolts. I consider that to be 'snug' for an 8mm bolt, but not 'tight'.

BTW, at that torque value, that bolt is exerting about 1200 lbs of force.

Maximum tension in the chain is about 2400 lbs, full throttle in first gear at the engine torque peak.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts