Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a new tire put on around 1000 miles ago now - obviously the dealer put it on. A few weeks back I noticed that the tensioner was soo loose that the plate it screws through was almost falling off. I just tightened it up with my fingers [note: not used to playing with tires and chans and wheels - naively thought the tensioner was inside the plate so did not worry about wheel tension]. I subsequently cleaned my chain after getting the new tire, and never looked at it since.

Yesterday after not riding the bike for a week maybe, I noticed a lot of slack in the chain from the way the bike picks up when changing gear. I looked at the chain and it was flapping about far more than it should - I could almost have lifted the chain off the rear sproket.

Question is: Could this be due to chain wear in such a short time - 1000 miles? Or, my suspicion is that because they did not torque up the tensioners, the wheel released tension. Or, maybe they did not tension it and I did not notice. I retensioned it myself and they had screwed on the wheel properly at least....

How can I tell if my chain is wanked?

Help and advice appreciated. ;D

BTW - taking it in for its service tomorrow, so if I am going to flame them for poor wheel fitting, should get the facts first ;)

S

·
0 Posts
Re: Chain tension after tire change: Is this norma

Well.....If it was a Duacti dealer the bolt should not back out. They should know better and torque it to spec after adjusting the chain. However, you should adjust and lub your chain every 500 miles its easy and cheaper than new parts are. It's your fault too.

It's good to look over those and other important bolts before you ride. A little pre-ride inspection might be in order including checking your chain.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

I'm trying to figure out if I checked the tension when I cleaned the chain - SURE I would have noticed if it was that slack...

Quite willing to accept that it was my fault if I did screw something up, but trying to figure out how likely that is, and what exactly that was. THe wheel was still in total alignment, which makes me think that either the chain stretched, or the tension was out when it went on, and somehow I was too stupid to notice :-/

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

I'm gonna keep a very close eye on it in future. Planning to change sprocket size anyways, so may need a new chain for that. Wish I'd have got on the DML offer quicker ;)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts